No. 56 Aldgate Ward Association
MAKE READY [as a Rear Rank] (see original 1799 description below)
Aldgate was a gate in the former defensive wall around the City of London. (See map – click to expand).It gives its name to Aldgate High Street, the first stretch of the A11 road, which included the site of the former gate. The area of Aldgate, the most common use of the term, is focused around the former gate and the High Street and includes part of the city and parts of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) east of Charing Cross. There is also an Aldgate Ward of the City of London. The Ward is of ancient origin, but intramural, so almost entirely distinct from the area around Aldgate High Street, which is mostly outside the line of the London Wall.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
ALDGATE WARD ASSOCIATION.
CAPTAIN HARVEY CHRISTIAN COMBE.
This Association was formed the 4th of May, 1798, under Harvey Christian Combe, Esq. Alderman of London, and M. P.; when it was resolved to pro vide Clothing, Arms, and Accoutrements, at their own expence, reserving a power to their Committee to assist such Members as may desire it out of the General Fund arising from Voluntary Contributions: also not to serve out of the City without their own consent. They at present consist of one Company, of about 70 Privates, and are to unite with St. Catherine’s, Trinity, Minories, and others. Mrs. Combe presented their Colours on the 25th of October 1798, in the East India Company’s Field, Islington Road. The Committee of this Association was originally chosen by the Inhabitants of the Ward, but at present new Members are elected by the Committee alone. A Body of Special Constables is likewise attached to this Association.
Captain, H. C. Combe. Lieutenant, Charles Chalmers; Ensign, Richard Radford.
Helmet; Label, ALDGATE WARD ASSOCIATION; Crown and Garter with circular ornaments.
Breast-plate, oval; with the letters A. W. V.
Cartouch ; a small Star. Round Buttons; same device as Breastplate.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.