No. 39 Cordwainer’s Ward Volunteer
Cordwainer (see map) is a small, almost rectangular-shaped ward in the City of London. It is named after the cordwainers, the professional shoemakers who historically lived and worked in this particular area of London there is a Livery Company for the trade — the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers. The ward is sometimes referred to as the “Cordwainers’ ward”.
It is bounded to the north by Poultry and Cheapside (the boundary with Cheap ward); to the west by the eponymous Bread Street and the ward of the same name; to the south by Cannon Street (and Vintry and Dowgate wards); and to the east by Walbrook ward and a street of the same name.
Streets within Cordwainer’s boundaries are, amongst others, Bow Lane, Pancras Lane and part of Watling Street. Queen Street runs north–south through the centre of the ward.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
CORDWAINERS’ WARD VOLUNTEERS.
This Association was formed in May 1798, under John Corﬁeld, Esq. to serve within the City and its Liberties, and forms but one Company, consisting of near 80 Privates : they have not received their Colours. At present they are united to the Candlewick and Dowgate Ward Associations, and are expected to be joined by other Corps.
This Corps has a General Committee, consisting of Brook Watson, Esq. as Alderman of the Ward, of the Common Council, and of the principal Inhabitants ; likewise a Military Committee of the Officers only.
Captain, John Corﬁeld; Lieutenant, –—- Idle; Ensign, —– Smith.
Helmet; Label, NON NOBIS SED PATRIÆ.
Breastplate, oval; a Crown within a Garter, on which is inscribed, LONDON VOLUNTEERS.
Buttons, round, and inscribed similar to the Breastplate.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.