No. 7 Clerkenwell Cavalry
(see original 1798 description below)
Clerkenwell is the oldest residential and business district in Islington. The area is named after the Clerks’ Well, a 12th-century water source that adjoined St Mary’s Nunnery (c 1140). Due to fa plentiful supply of fresh water, open fields and its proximity to the City, Clerkenwell was a favoured place for the building of monasteries and other institutions. These inclu
ded the Priory of the Order of St John (1143), and Charterhouse Monastery (1370) and (later) School.
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
THIS Troop was formed shortly after the Infantry, under the direction of Marmaduke Sellon, Esq. Its number at present is but small and act independent of the other Corps; they are for the protection of the Parish of Clerkenwell only, and have a Committee chosen out of the Troop, consisting of nine Members. They mount no Standard, nor intend one till their numbers increase to greater respectability.
Commander, Captain Marmaduke Sellon. Lieutenant, – Sturges; Cornet, – Seward.
Helmets; in front, CLERKENWELL CAVALRY; on right side, Garter and Crown.
Button; C. W. L. C. in cypher.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|