No. 52 Langbourn Ward Volunteer
PRIME & LOAD [as a Center Rank] (see original 1799 description below)
Langbourn (see map) is one of the 25 ancient wards of the City of London. It reputedly is named after a buried stream in the vicinity. It is a small ward; a long thin area, running in a west–east direction. Historically, Lombard Street and Fenchurch Street were the principal streets, forming the cores of the ward’s West and East divisions respectively. Boundary changes in 2003 and 2013 have resulted in most of the northern sides of these streets remaining in Langbourn, whilst the southern sides are now largely in the wards of Candlewick, Bridge, Billingsgate and Tower. Three changes to the boundaries of Langbourn took place in 2013; all of the southern side of Lombard Street, with the notable exception of the guild – or ward – church of St Mary Woolnoth, is in Candlewick (from 2003 to 2013 Candlewick extended only to Abchurch Lane); the ward of Walbrook now includes the northern side of Lombard Street from number 68 to Bank junction. In turn, Langbourn expanded by taking another part of Leadenhall Market, from Lime Street ward. The ward at present borders eight other wards (Walbrook, Candlewick, Bridge, Billingsgate, Tower, Aldgate, Lime Street, and Cornhill); historically no other City ward bordered so many neighbours. The ward encompasses a large area of Leadenhall Market and two historic churches: St. Mary Woolnoth and St. Edmund’s. Historically, the ward also contained four other churches: St Nicholas Acons (destroyed in the Great Fire 1666), All Hallows Staining (demolished 1870), St. Dionis Backchurch (1878), and All Hallows Lombard Street (1939).
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
LANGBOURN WARD VOLUNTEERS.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, WALTER POWELL, JUN.
THIS Volunteer Corps was formed in May, 1798, Sir John Eamer, Knight and Alderman, in the Chair, when they resolved, with the approbation of His Majesty, to call themselves the Langbourn Ward Association; to fur- nish themselves with Arms and Clothing at their own expence; and that it be understood the persons forming this Association are not to be considered as enlisted Soldiers, but as Citizens, learning the use of Arms for the sole purpose of protecting their own Property, and of supporting the Chief and other Magistrates, in case of Invasion, Rebellion, Insurrection, Riot, &c.; nor were they to go out of the City without their own consent; and that care be taken to obtain Commissions from His Majesty, in which there be a clause expressive of these conditions; to which His Majesty was graciously pleased to signify his approbation.
This Corps consists of two Companies of about 120 Rank and File Battalion.
Major Commandant, Walter Powell, Jun.
First Company.–Captain, Augustus Robert Hankey; Lieutenant, John Edward Breen; Ensign, James Layton.
Second Company.-Captain, Alexander Innes; Lieutenant, Joseph Kilner; Ensign, Thomas Street.
Their Committee is chosen by ballot; and they are joined to the Tower, Bridge, Aldgate, and Billingsgate Wards. The Corps received their Colours from the hand of Lady Eamer, on the 5th of November 1798, in Lord’s Cricket Ground.
Helmet; without Motto, or metallic ornament.
Breastplate, square; L. W. A. in cypher.
Buttons; Crown only. Cartouch ; no ornament.
White Pantaloons, and Half Boots.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.