The regiment was raised by Cromwell during the Commonwealth. Their first colonel was Monck, who led them from Coldstream, where they were stationed and were so named, to join King Charles II at his Restoration. They were thus the first Infantry regiment to join the establishment of the regular army but were made junior in precedence to the First Guards (now the Grenadier Guards), who had been with Charles in exile as Wentworth’s Regiment. Here is an officer in undress uniform, like the blue frock coat worn by officers before 1914 and still worn by the Brigade of Guards. Taken from a picture showing a guard mounted by the regiment in the Horse Guards, Whitehall, in which the officers are shown in this order of dress rather than in ceremonial full dress. The brown coat is little different from the simple brown coats worn by King Charles II and the members of his court. The crimson sash, worn by the British infantry officer on duty from about this time, is shown almost as it is worn today. The main weapon carried by the officers, only part of which is shown, is the sixteen-foot pike, the same as that carried by the pikemen of the regiment. It was more usual for officers to carry the half-pike, or spontoon, but, for guard duties, the full pike was ordered. Source: Contemporary picture of the Coldstream Guards belonging to the Duke of Roxburgh.