No. 42 St. George’s, Southwark Volunteer


© The Trustees of the British Museum, released as CC BY-NC-SA 4.0; Map of Southwark; St George’s Fields in the south, London Bridge at top right, and Christ Church Parish on the left; illustration to vol II of the sixth edition of Stow’s ‘Survey of London’. 1720, this state 1755 Etching and engraving; John Stow; (annotated).

PRIME & LOAD [4th loading motion] (see original 1799 description below)
St George the Martyr is a church in the historic Borough district of south London. It lies within the modern-day London Borough of Southwark, (see map) on Borough High Street at the junction with Long LaneMarshalsea Road, and Tabard Street. St George the Martyr is named after Saint George. The church is a Grade II* listed building.  The church has strong associations with Charles Dickens, whose father was imprisoned for debt in the Marshalsea prison. The surviving wall of the prison adjoins the north side of the churchyard. Dickens himself lived nearby, in Lant Street, lodging in a house that belonged to the Vestry Clerk of St George’s. This was during the darkest period of his life when, as a teenager, with his father in prison, he had to work in the ‘blacking factory’, and his literary career must have seemed an impossible dream. Later, he was to set several scenes of the novel Little Dorrit in and around St George’s Church. There is a small representation of Little Dorrit in the east window of the church.  It is also a recognised church of the City of London Company of Parish Clerks and the guild church of the Guildable Manor. From 2008 the annual Southwark Quit Rents ceremony, before the Queen’s Remembrancer has taken place there.

In stock

Select delivery location

  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay


Original Description of the unit from 1798:
This Corps was formed April 1798, under the auspices of F. Young, Esq.  and resolved not to serve out of the Parish, except by common consent.  They are governed by a Committee, consisting of their Officers, Treasurer, and three Privates, the latter elected by ballot every three months;  they consist of one Company, of about 90 Rank and File; and on Wednesday, the 19th of June 1799, the whole Corps dined together, in a  splendid manner, at the Horns on Kennington Common, where an elegant  Standard was presented to them by Miss Pigion, of the Borough, Southwark.
Captain, F. Young.  Lieutenant, —- Thornton; Ensign, ——- Meymott.
Helmet; Label, ST. GEORGE’S, SOUTHWARK, LOYAL VOLUNTEERS; ornament on the right side, the Crown and Garter, with G. R. in centre.  Breastplate, oval; a Crown with St. G. S.  Buttons, round, otherwise similar to Breastplate.  Whole Gaiters.



Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25.25 × 32.5 cm


There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.