No. 6 London & Westminster Dismounted Light Horse Volunteer

£15.00

A New Map of the Citties of London, Westminster & ye Borough of Southwarke, with their Suburbs shewing ye streets, lanes, Allies, Courtes &c with other remarks, as they are now, Truely & Carefully delineated. W. Hollar fecit 1675. From the Crace Collection of Maps of London at the British Library, London. © The British Library Board. (ANNOTATED BY IAIN LAIRD).

SHOULDER ARMS [1st Motion]  (see original 1799 description below)
Westminster, a central area of London, became a city in 1539. (See map). For centuries Westminster and the City of London were geographically quite distinct.  (See Map). It was not until the sixteenth century that houses began to be built over the adjoining fields, eventually absorbing nearby villages such as Marylebone and Kensington, and gradually creating the vast Greater London that exists today. Westminster is bordered by the City of London to the East and, until 1965 by Marylebone and Paddington to the North (which were both then absorbed into Westminster) and by Kensington and Chelsea to the West. The River Thames forms the Southern border.
This Corps was an earlier creation than many of the other volunteer units – formed in 1779. At that time Britain was at war on three fronts:  The Revolutionary War in America, the East India Company, with British troops, fighting the Marathas in Wadgaon, India, and were forced to return all territories acquired since 1773 and the Siege of Gibraltar had began.  The London & Westminster Volunteers were a group of well connected gentry from across the whole of London (London and Westminster by this time being two neighbouring cities).

In stock

Select delivery location

GUARANTEED SAFE CHECKOUT
  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay

Description

Original Description of the unit from 1799:
No. VI.
LIGHT HORSE VOLUNTEERS OF LONDON AND  WESTMINSTER.
COMMANDED BY COLONEL HERRIES. 
THIS distinguished Corps was formed so long ago as the year 1779, when  the French Fleet was off the coast. They did Duty, and rendered essential  Service, during the Riots in the memorable year 1780, for which they were  rewarded by Commissions from His Majesty, and a Royal Standard; and  by the Lord Mayor and Aldermen with the City Standard. These they  deposited in the Tower of London at the Peace in 1783, and resumed them  again in the beginning of the year 1794. They consist at present of nine  Troops of 65 Gentlemen each, exclusive of Olficers; but the seventh, eighth,  and ninth Troops are dismounted, and act as Rifiemen, carrying a Rifle-  barrelled Gun of a new construction, which will do execution at a great  distance; and their Broad Swords are so contrived as to serve occasionally  as Bayonets. Cars, or Expedition Carriages, are always ready to convey  them at the same pace the Cavalry may march. This Corps can only be  called out in case of Invasion or Insurrection, to do Duty in the Metropolis,  or within the distance of ten miles. When not on actual Service, they are  regulated by a Committee of their own choosing, and this Committee elects  all new Members by ballot, but these cannot join till approved by the King.
NAMES OF THE OFFICERS. 
Colonel Herries.  Lieutenant Colonels, Beachcroft, and Bosanquet. .  Majors, Hoare, and Stracy; Lieutenant and Adjutant, Gordon.  Captains, Coiling, Dunlop, Dorrien, Bird, Harris, Harrison, Parish, Vansittart, Moore.  Lieutenanls, Downing, Markham, Smith, Steuart, Shifliner, H. M. Hoare, Divett, Biddulph,  Courthope.  Cornets, T. S. Beachcroft, Wilson, French, Cornwall, Walford, R. Sutton, Haslewood,  Turner, Borens.  Chaplain, Rev. G. Buchanan ; Surgeon, Thompson Forster; Veterinary Surgeon, ]ames Harrison ; Secretary, Edward Hughes.
DRESS. 
Scarlet Hussar Jacket, black Cape and Cuff with silver Loopings, and silver chain Epaulets:  white leather Breeches and Gloves; military Boots.
Helmet: the turban of mole-skin, forming a black ground to the words LIGHT HORSE  VOLUNTEERS, in front; and on the right side a Crown above the Garter, with G. R. in the  centre: Motto, FORWARD, all in silver; the whole topped by black Bear-skin, and a white  Feather on the left side.
The Badge is an oval silver Plate, with a Lion rampant, bearing up a Shield having G. R. in  the centre: Motto,
FORWARD.
Poucb, of plain black leather.
Sabretasch, worn on the right side, mounted with Black Bear-skin; and L. H. V. under a  Crown of silver.
The Officers are distinguished by a Sash, a red top to the Feather of the Helmet, and  Leopard-skin furniture for the mounted.  

Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25.25 × 32.5 cm

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.