No. 7 St. Clement Danes Volunteer
SHOULDER ARMS [2nd motion] (see original 1798 description below)
St Clement Danes (see map) was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England; an ecclesiastical version remains (see its Anglican church, St Clement Danes). The parish was split between the Liberty of Westminster and the Liberty of the Duchy of Lancaster (also known as of the Savoy). The area is colloquially split between Aldwych and Adelphi areas associated with the larger Strand area in the extreme east of the City of Westminster. It includes hotels, restaurants, the Indian and Australian High Commissions and the London School of Economics. To its west is Charing Cross station which faces Trafalgar Square. It took its name from the dedication of the church of St Clement Danes. It is recorded in the early 12th century as parochia Sancti Clementis ecclesie Dacorum or ‘the parish of St Clement’s church of the Danes’. The name suggests there were Danes living in the area, to the west of the City of London. The parish consisted of two areas extending into the left (north) half of the Thames. The main part formed the east part of Westminster vill which was largely gardens and rural until the late medieval period. It adjoined the Liberty of the Rolls and the Temple area of the City of London. To the west it had a straight boundary with two parishes of contrasting size: St Martin in the Fields (large) and St Mary le Strand (very small). To the north it was bounded by St Giles in the Fields. The western detached part was very small; it lay between an arm of St Martin in the Fields by the river and the few-acres Precinct of the Savoy of similar size to St Mary le Strand also by the river.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
SAINT CLEMENT DANES VOLUNTEERS.
CAPTAIN COMMANDANT SAMUEL EDWARDS.
This Corps was formed May 1st, 1798, to keep the peace within their own limits. They consist of two Companies of Light Infantry; and received their Colours on the 3d of June 1799, from the hand of Miss Edwards, daughter of Captain Edwards; and these are decorated with the Anchor, and the words “ St. CLEMENT DANES ASSOCIATION.” Their Committee is composed of all the Officers and seven Privates. This Corps is a Brigade with St. Andrew’s, Holborn, St. George the Martyr, St. Sepulchre, and St. James’s, Clerkenwell; and their numbers unlimited.
Captain Commandant, Samuel Edwards. Second Captain, William Sandby, Jun. First Lieutenant, Richard Twining. Second Lieutenant, John Paternoster. Ensigns, John Prince, Benjamin Marshall.
Helmets; Black Purple Riband, and Feather, White tipped Red.
Breast Plate, oval, round an Anchor; St. CLEMENT DANES ASSOCIATION.
Cartouch, a Star. Half Gaiters.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.