No.58 Clerkenwell Association
Advance Arms (see original 1799 description below)
Clerkenwell is an area of central London, England (see map – click on it to expand). It was an ancient parish from the mediaeval period onwards, and now forms the south-western part of the London Borough of Islington. The well after which it was named was rediscovered in 1924. The watchmaking and watch repairing trades were once of great importance. Goswell Street formed the eastern boundary of the Clerkenwell parishes, with the River Fleet, now buried beneath Farringdon Road and other streets, forming the western boundary with Holborn and, in part, St Pancras. This western boundary with both neighbouring areas is now used as part of the London Borough of Islington’s western boundary with the London Borough of Camden. Pentonville is a part of northern Clerkenwell, while the southern part is sometimes referred to as Farringdon, after the railway station of that name – which was named after Farringdon Road (an extension of Farringdon Street) and originally named Farringdon Street Station. Finsbury Town Hall and the Finsbury Estate lie in Clerkenwell, rather than Finsbury. They are named after the former Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury which included Clerkenwell, Finsbury and other areas. The Industrial Revolution changed the area greatly. It became a centre for breweries, distilleries and the printing industry. It gained an especial reputation for the making of clocks, marine chronometers and watches, which activity once employed many people from around the area. Flourishing craft workshops still carry on some of the traditional trades, such as jewellery-making.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
CAPTAIN GOMMANDANT, MARMADUKE SELLON.
This Corps was formed May, 1797, under the direction of Marmaduke Sellon, Esq. not to go out of their own District, and to assist the Magistrates in the preservation of Tranquillity. They consist of one Company of about 86 Privates; their Committee is parochial, chosen by ballot; have not received Colours, nor are they at present united to any other Corps.
Captain Commandant, Marmaduke Sellon. Captain, — Magniac; Lieutenants, William Cook, J. Robins.
Helmets; LOYAL CLERKENWELL ASSOCIATION, in front.
Breastplate, oval; CLERKENWELL ASSOCIATION. Buttons; plain.
Cartouch, a Star; C. A. in cypher in centre.
N. B. For the Cavalry, see No. VII. at the end of the book.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.