No. 64 Farringdon Without Volunteers

£15.00

Club Arms (4th Motion) (see original 1799 description below)

1720: Blome’s Map of Farringdon Without Ward. Image courtesy of British Library Crace Collection. © British Library Board; Maps Crace Port. 8.24

Farringdon Without is the most westerly Ward of the City of London, (see maps – click to expand) its suffix Without reflects its origin as lying beyond the City’s former defensive walls. It was first established in 1394 to administer the suburbs west of Ludgate and Newgate, and also around West Smithfield. This was achieved by splitting the very large, pre-existing Farringdon Ward into two parts, Farringdon Within and Farringdon Without. The large and prosperous extramural suburb of Farringdon Without has been described as having been London’s first West End.
The largest of the City’s 25 Wards, it was reduced in size considerably after a boundary review in 2003, and no longer corresponds very closely to its historic extent.
Farringdon Without and Farringdon Within are unconnected to the Farringdon area to the north, outside the City, in Clerkenwell. Southern Clerkenwell is sometimes referred to as Farringdon due to the presence of Farringdon Station, which was named after Farringdon Street and originally named Farringdon Street Station.

In stock

Select delivery location

GUARANTEED SAFE CHECKOUT
  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay

Description

Original Description of the unit from  1799:
No. LXIV.
FARRINGDON WITHOUT VOLUNTEERS.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, CHARLES PRICE.
THE above Association was instituted May 1793, under Alderman Charles  Price; when it was resolved that they should provide their own Clothing,  and serve gratuitously within the City of London, and not elsewhere, unless  with their own consent; and the Committee was originally chosen by the  Ward, and was composed of forty Inhabitants, but a Military Committee  has since been chosen out of the former one.  This Corps consists of two Companies of 60 each, and it is expected will  soon join several other Associations. Their Colours were presented them  by Major Price’s Lady, at Canonbury House, in October 1798.
OFFICERS’ NAMES.
Major Commandant, Charles Price.  First Company.—- Captain, John Eykyn; Lieutenant, Charles Price, Jun.;  Ensign, —– Jones.  Second Company.-Captain, -—-— Hodgkinson; Lieutenant, -—- Boylstone; Ensign, — Davidson.
DRESS
Helmet; red Feather tipped white.
Breastplate, oval, with F. W‘. V. in cypher.
Round Buttons; F. W‘. V. in ditto.
Short Gaiters.

Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25.5 × 32.5 cm

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.