No. 50 Bermondsey Volunteer


Courtesy of The British Library, Crace Collection, London. 1755 engraving; cartographer: Richard Blome. Plan of the parish of St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey from J. Strype’s edition of Stow’s Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster and borough of Southwark published in 1754-56. Damaged by repeated flooding, the old medieval parish church of St Mary was demolished at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1715, a new parish church was erected on the site with funds raised by the parishioners themselves after the Commissioners of the Fifty New Churches Act (Queen Anne’s Churches) turned down their request for money.

FRONT RANK KNEELING, MAKE READY (see original 1799 description below) 
Bermondsey (see maps attached is a district in southeast London, part of the London Borough of Southwark, England, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) southeast of Charing Cross. To the west of Bermondsey lies Southwark, to the east Rotherhithe and Deptford, to the south Walworth and Peckham, and to the north is Wapping across the River Thames. It lies within the historic county boundaries of Surrey.  As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent some striking changes. After the Great Fire of London, it was settled by the well-to-do, and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the line of Grange Road and Bermondsey Wall East as it became more urbanized. A pleasure garden was constructed during the Restoration period in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier. Though not many buildings survive from this period, one notable exception is the church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street, completed in 1690 (although a church has been recorded on this site from the 13th century). This church survived the 19th-century redevelopment phase and the Blitz unscathed. It is an unusual survivor for Bermondsey as buildings of this period are relative rarities in Inner London in general.

In stock

Select delivery location

  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay


Original Description of the unit from 1798:
No. L.
This Corps was established in July, 1794, agreeable to the act of 34. Geo. III.  and have consented to go to any part of the Southern District in case of real danger. It consists of two Companies of 70 each. Their Colours were the gift of the Ladies of the Parish of Bermondsey and presented by Miss Richardson.
Major Commandant, Thomas Gaitskill; also Captain of the First Company.  First Company.Captain, Thomas Gaitskill; First Lieutenant, i- Reed; Second Lieutenant, -—— Gaitskill.  Second Company. —Captain, S. Field; First Lieutenant, ——— Jordan; Second Lieutenant, -—- Brandon.  Chaplain, the Rev. Henry Cox; Surgeon, S. Henry Sterry.
Helmet; Label, BERMONDSEY VOLUNTEERSBreast plate, oval; PRO ARIS ET FOCIS. 
Button; G. R. under the Crown.
Short Gaiters.


Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25.5 × 32.5 cm


There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.