1897, Captain, Royal Horse Artillery
1897, Captain, Royal Horse Artillery: drawn from uniforms in the Royal Artillery Museum, Larkhill, Wiltshire
This is the dress adopted by the Royal Horse Artillery after the Crimean War, in 1857, and worn to-day by the King’s Troop. There have been only minor changes during that time. At first badges of rank were worn on the collar, the sleeves and coat were cut very loose, and loose, leather-bound trousers were worn. In 1881 badges of rank were shifted to the epaulette and the grenade substituted on the collar, and tight overalls or breeches and boots replaced the loose trousers. In 1897 the sabretache was abolished, and in 1951 the ends of the cap lines were shifted from the left to the right breast. The device on the sabretache is worthy of notice. Before 1833 each battery of the regiment had carried its own battle honours, but in that year King William IV granted this device to the whole regiment, and it is still displayed by the regiment. It was borne on the sabretache from 1857 to 1897. Sources: Uniforms in the R.A. Museum.
|Dimensions||24 × 37 cm|