No. 40 St. Margaret & St. John Westr. Volunteer
PRIME & LOAD [2d loading motion] (see original 1799 description below)
St Margaret was an ancient parish in the City and Liberty of Westminster and the county of Middlesex. It included the core of modern Westminster, including the Palace of Westminster and the area around, but not including Westminster Abbey. It was divided into St Margaret’s and St John’s in 1727, to coincide with the building of the Church of St John the Evangelist, constructed by the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches (The Queen Anne Churches) in Smith Square to meet the demands of the growing population, but there continued to be a single vestry for the parishes of St Margaret and St John. This was reformed in 1855 by the Metropolis Management Act, and the two parishes formed the Westminster District until 1887. St Margaret and St John became part of the County of London in 1889. The vestry was abolished in 1900, to be replaced by Westminster City Council, but St Margaret and St John continued to have a nominal existence until 1922.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
MARGARET AND ST. JOHN, WESTMINSTER, VOLUNTEER ASSOCIATIONS*.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, LORD VISCOUNT BELGRAVE.
THIS Corps was ﬁrst formed in May, 1798, and inrolled under the following regulations:
That they should only serve within the Cities of London and Westminster, and His Majesty’s Palace; to assist the Civil Magistrates of the District when called on, protect Property, and preserve the Public Tranquillity. They consist of three Companies, all Battalion; and the
NAMES AND RANK OF THEIR OFFICERS ARE,
Major Commandant, Lord Viscount Belgrave. 1st Company. —First Captain, John Jones; Captain-Lieutenant and Adjutant, John Sale; Second Lieutenant, Simon Stevenson. 2d Company. —-Second Captain, — Griffin; Second Lieutenant, James Saunders; Ensign, James Watts. 3d Company. Third Captain, –— Fernside; Third Lieutenant, ——-Ellis; Ensign, John Webster.
Their Colours were presented by Lady Belgrave in his Lordship’s grounds, Mill Bank.
This Corps consists of about 200 Rank and File and are meant to be extended. They have a Committee, parochial, and one military, to regulate the internal concerns of the Association; they are not to be joined (it is expected) to any other, and they have for their
A Hat; Bear-skin and red Feather.
Breastplate, oval, yellow; round the Westminster Arms a Garter, in-scribed, ST. MARGARET AND ST. JOHN ASSOCIATION; overall, the Crown.
Buttons; Crown over Portcullis; ST. MARGARET AND ST. JOHN round.
Half Gaiters, black.
* No. LIX. Westminster Grenadiers, under the same regulations.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.