Officer, Rifle Brigade, 1831
The Rifle Brigade was amalgamated into The Rifles in 2007
The Rifle Brigade was originally raised as Colonel Coote Manningham’s Experimental Rifle Corps in 1800 and called the 95th Foot to provide sharpshooters, scouts, and skirmishers. They were soon renamed the “Rifle Corps“. In January 1803, they became an established regular regiment and were titled the 95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles). In 1816, at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, they were again renamed, this time as the “Rifle Brigade“. Since 2007 it has been part of The Rifles. During the Peninsular War and at Waterloo they were part of the famous Light Division with the 43rd and 52nd. The unit was distinguished by its use of green uniforms in place of the traditional redcoat, as well as being armed with the Baker rifle which was the first British-made rifle accepted by the British Army in place of smooth-bore muskets. They performed distinguished service in both the First and Second World Wars. The regiment was amalgamated with the 1st Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd) and the King’s Royal Rifle Corps to form the Royal Green Jackets on 1 January 1966. Here is an officer of the sister Greenjacket regiment to the 60th Rifles, the Rifle Brigade, in 1831. From the first, the officers of both regiments were dressed in light cavalry style, and the uniform shown here is in light dragoon tradition, with its frogging, cross belt, and pelisse. Light infantry features are the whistle worn in the cross belt, and the tasselled ends of the crimson sash. Originally the officers had worn silver buttons on their coats, but in 1830 they were changed to black, and have remained black ever since.
Source: Contemporary print by Mansion and Eschauzier.
|Dimensions||24.5 × 37.5 cm|