No. 55 Farringdon Ward within Volunteers
PRIME & LOAD [as a Rear Rank] (see original 1798 description below)
Farringdon Within is one of the 25 wards of the City of London, the historic and financial centre of London. (See maps – click to enlarge). It was formed in the 14th century from the sub-division of the pre-existing Farringdon Ward into Farringdon Within (inside the line of the Former London Wall), and Farringdon Without, beyond the Wall.
Farringdon Without and Farringdon Within are unconnected to the Farringdon area to the north, outside the City, in Clerkenwell. Southern Clerkenwell is sometimes referred to as Farringdon due to the presence of Farringdon Station, which was named after Farringdon Street and originally named Farringdon Street Station.
The Wards of London appear to have taken shape in the 11th century, before the Norman Conquest. Their administrative, judicial and military purpose made them equivalent to Hundreds in the countryside. The primary purpose of Wards like Farringdon, which included a gate, appears to be the defence of the gate, as gates were the weakest points in any fortification. Farringdon was a very large ward and had two gates, Ludgate and Newgate lying just outside the gate). Early charters show that the western boundary of the City and Westminster was pushed back to approximately its current position in around 1000, though the area outside the walls is thought to have been sparsely populated, if at all, at this time.
Farringdon was later named after Sir Nicholas de Faringdon, who was appointed Lord Mayor of London for “as long as it shall please him” by King Edward II. The Ward had been in the Faringdon family for 82 years at this time, his father, William de Faringdon preceding him as Alderman in 1281, when he purchased the position. William de Faringdon was Lord Mayor in 1281–82 and also a Warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
FARRINGDON WARD WITHIN VOLUNTEERS.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, ALDERMAN PRICE.
THIS Corps was formed in May, 1798, under the direction of Alderman Price, for the Preservation of Public Tranquillity, and the Protection of Property within their own District. They consist of two Companies, (Infantry) and have a Committee military and parochial, chosen by ballot: and their Colours were presented by Miss Price, daughter of the Alderman.
Major Commandant, —- Price. Captain, — Cadwall; Captain, — Powell.
N. B. Since engraving the Plate ﬁfty-ﬁve alterations have taken place in
the Corps; and they are now united with Farringdon Without and Castle
Baynard, under the title of WEST LONDON LOYAL VOLUNTEERS.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.