No. 6 Southwark Cavalry
(see original 1798 description below)
Southwark is the oldest part of south London. An urban area to the south of the bridge was first developed in the Roman period, but subsequently abandoned. The name Southwark dates from the establishment of a defensive position in the area by King Alfred in the 9th century. Southwark was formed in 1965 from the former area of Southwark, Camberwell, and Bermondsey.
Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means “southern defensive work”. The strategic context of the defences would have been in relation to London, its bridge and preventing waterborne attackers from travelling further up the Thames. The borough borders the City of London and Tower Hamlets to the north, Lambeth to the west and Lewisham to the east. To the south the borough tapers giving a brief border with Bromley. The northwest part of the borough is part of Central London and is densely developed. To the east, the Rotherhithe peninsula has lower-density modern housing and open space formed around the former docks. The southern part of Southwark includes the Victorian suburbs of Camberwell, Peckham and Nunhead, and the prosperous “village” of Dulwich with some very large houses forms the far south of the borough.
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
SOUTHWARK CAVALRY *
This respectable Troop was celebrated for early exertions upon the general alarm.
In point of Discipline and Elegance they stand in a high rank of estimation.
The Troop received their Standard at Walworth, in June 1798, from the hand of Mrs. Collingdon; and
THEIR OFFICERS ARE:
Captain, – Collingdon. Lieutenant, -Ellis; Cornet, – Field.
* For the Infantry, see Nos. XLII. XLIII. XLIV. L and LI. distinguished by being stiled the Five Parishes United.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|