Loyal Volunteers of London
The regiment was first recruited from wealthy merchants and bankers as the London and Westminster Light Horse in 1779. It was disbanded in 1783 but in 1793 the Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger, proposed that the English Counties form a force of Volunteer Yeoman Cavalry that could be called on by the King to defend the country against invasion or by the Lord Lieutenant to subdue any civil disorder within the country. So the regiment was reformed again the following year. The regiment was renamed the Westminster Volunteer Cavalry in 1797 and barracks were built to accommodate the regiment in Gray’s Inn Road in 1812. The regiment was disbanded again in 1829 and the barracks were decommissioned in 1830.
THIS respectable Corps was formed for the preservation of public Tranquillity, and the security of individual Property within their own Limits. It consists of two Troops of about 140 Privates and regulated by a Committee chosen from among themselves.
OFFICERS’ NAMES: Major, – Elliot. Captain, — Cosser; Lieutenants, — Hislop, -Shirley. Cornets, James Fozard, – Mackintosh. Adjutant, Arrow.
DRESS: Their Helmets bear on the right side the Arms of Westminster, richly adorned with a Garter, inscribed WESTMINSTER VOLUNTEER CAVALRY; the Garter radiated with a Star, and Crown at top; the Motto below on Label, NON NOBIS SED PATRIÆ.
|Dimensions||26.2 × 33.7 cm|