No. 68 Loyal Bermondsey Volunteer Association


PRESENT ARMS [1st Motion from Mourn Arms]  (see original 1799 description below)

Courtesy of The British Library, Crace Collection, London. 1755 engraving; cartographer: Richard Blome. Plan of the parish of St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey from J. Strype’s edition of Stow’s Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster and borough of Southwark published in 1754-56. Damaged by repeated flooding, the old medieval parish church of St Mary was demolished at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1715, a new parish church was erected on the site with funds raised by the parishioners themselves after the Commissioners of the Fifty New Churches Act (Queen Anne’s Churches) turned down their request for money.
View of the south, or garden front of the Jamaica Tavern in Bermondsey; where the Volunteers met and where they kept their arms.  Drawn by: Thomas Hosmer Shepherd. Courtesy of The Trustees of the British Museum – Crace 1878 / A Catalogue of Maps, Plans and Views of London, Westminster and Southwark, collected and arranged by Frederick Crace (XXXIV.14) Binyon 1898-1907 / Catalogue of drawings by British artists, and artists of foreign origin working in Great Britain (394).

Bermondsey (see maps attached)  is a district in southeast London, part of the London Borough of Southwark, England, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) southeast of Charing Cross. To the west of Bermondsey lies Southwark, to the east Rotherhithe and Deptford, to the south Walworth and Peckham, and to the north is Wapping across the River Thames. It lies within the historic county boundaries of Surrey.  As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent some striking changes. After the Great Fire of London, it was settled by the well-to-do, and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the line of Grange Road and Bermondsey Wall East as it became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was constructed during the Restoration period in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier. Samuel Pepys once visited here with his wife and servants.
Though not many buildings survive from this period, one notable exception is the church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street, completed in 1690 (although a church has been recorded on this site from the 13th century). This church survived the 19th-century redevelopment phase and the Blitz unscathed. It is an unusual survivor for Bermondsey as buildings of this period are relative rarities in Inner London in general.
The lower map shows the location of Jamaica House where the description below tells us that the Volunteers met and kept their arms. Samuel Pepys once visited Jamaica House, which at some stage became a tavern, with his wife and servants.

In stock

Select delivery location

  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay


Original Description of the unit from 1798:
This Corps was enrolled in May 1798, under Robert Rich, Esq. to serve in  Southwark and Rotherhithe: they consist of one Company, and their Place  of Arms is the Jamaica House, near Rotherhithe. They have a Committee  chosen out of the Corps, and are not joined to any other Company. Their  Colours were presented the 1st of May 1799.
Captain, Robert Rich.  First Lieutenant, —— -——-; Second Lieutenant, — —-.
Helmets; on Label in front, LOYAL BERMONDSEY VOLUNTEERS; Bear-skin  and red Feather.  Breastplate, oval, and gilt; L. B. V. and Crown. Cartouch; L. B. V. in cypher, and Crown. Buttons, ditto, ditto.  Gaiters.
N.B. This Corps has been particularly active on several occasions; and their Commander has shewn himself indefatigable wherever there has been occasion for their Services.

Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25.5 × 32.5 cm


There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.