No. 38 St. Pancras Volunteer
PRIME & LOAD [7th motion] (see original 1798 description below)
St Pancras is a large district in north London. St Pancras was originally a medieval ancient parish and subsequently became a metropolitan borough. The metropolitan borough then merged with neighbouring boroughs and the area it covered now forms around half of the modern London Borough of Camden.
The area of the parish and borough takes in the sub-districts of Camden Town, Kentish Town, Gospel Oak, Somers Town, King’s Cross, Chalk Farm, Dartmouth Park, the core area of Fitzrovia and a part of Highgate. Broadly speaking, the names of the sub-districts are more widely used than that of the wider St Pancras area. The ancient parish of St Pancras (also known as Pancrace or Pancridge) was established in the medieval period to serve five manors: two manors named St Pancras (one prebendial, one lay), Cantlowes (Kentish Town), Tottenham Court and Rugmere (Chalk Farm).
The map shows the Ancient Parishes of – west to east – Paddington and St Marylebone (in the modern City of Westminster), and St Pancras (in the modern London Borough of Camden) in 1834.
By the end of the nineteenth century, the ancient parish had been divided into 37 ecclesiastical parishes, including one for the old church, to better serve a rapidly growing population. There are currently 17 Church of England parishes completely contained within the boundaries of the ancient parish, all of which benefit from the distributions from the St Pancras Lands Trust and most of which are in South Camden Deanery in the Edmonton Area of the Diocese of London.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
MAJOR COMMANDANT, JAMES MILLER.
This Volunteer Corps was formed in April, 1798, for the preservation of Public Tranquillity, to assist the Civil Magistrates, and for the protection of Property; but not to march, without consent, beyond their own District. The Corps consists of three Companies, Battalion and Light Infantry, of about 34,0 Privates; and every man has the care of his own Arms, 8:6. They were originally joined to the Kentish Town Association but are now unconnected with any other Body. The St. Pancras Volunteers received their Colours from the hand of Mrs. Dixon, as Proxy for Lady Camden, in the Cricket Ground belonging to Mr. Lord; and they were reviewed by His Majesty in Hyde Park, on the 4.th of June, 1799, and inspected by him on the 21st of the same month, at the Foundling Hospital. Their Committee consists of all the Ofﬁcers, 18 Privates, and a Serjeant-major; and each Company chooses its own Privates.
Major Commandant and Captain, John Dixon. First Company. — Captain, Philip Lejeune; Lieutenant, John Crompton; Ensign, — Robinson. Second Company. -Captain, John Dixon; Lieutenant, John Downman; Ensign, —- Adolphus. Light Company. –Captain, vacant; First Lieutenant, John Pepys; Second Lieutenant, John Cooper; Adjutant, William Elliott.
Helmets; on a Label, ST. PANCRAS VOLUNTEERS; ornament on ditto, G. R. on Garter, and Crown at top.
Breastplate, oval; S. P. V. and Crown at top.
Cartouch; a Star, S. P. V. in centre.
Buttons; S. P. V.; Light Infantry, a Bugle Horn.
First Company, Gaiters or Boots; Second Company and Light Infantry, Half Boots.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.