No. 3 Deptford Cavalry
(see original 1798 description below)
Deptford (see map) is named after a ford of the River Ravensbourne, a tributary of the River Thames in south London. St Paul’s, Deptford, is one of London’s finest Baroque parish churches, cited as “one of the most moving C18 churches in London” in the Buildings of England series. It was designed by gentleman architect Thomas Archer and built between 1712 and 1730 in Deptford, which was then a settlement in Kent but is now part of South East London. It was one of the 50 churches that were to be built by the New Church Commissioners, although only 12 were ultimately constructed.
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
THIS respectable Corps was formed in March 1798, under the particular direction of Goodhew, Esq. for the protection of individual Property, and the Peace of the Parish of St. Paul, Deptford. They consist of one Troop, regulated by their own Military Committee; and their Standard was presented to them on Blackheath by the Right Hon. Lady Evelyn.
OFFICERS’ NAMES: Captain, Goodhew. Lieutenant, Perry; Cornet , Randal.
Helmet; Over all Bear-skin, the rest is elegantly enriched with silver adornments; on right side, Crown and Garter; G. R. in cypher; Motto, DEFENCE, in front, DEPTFORD CAVALRY.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|