No. 33 Guildhall Lt. Infantry Volunteer
PRIME & LOAD [2nd priming motion] (see original 1798 description below)
Guildhall (see map) is a municipal building in the Moorgate area of the City of London, England. It is off Gresham and Basinghall streets, in the wards of Bassishaw and Cheap. The building has been used as a town hall for several hundred years, and is still the ceremonial and administrative centre of the City of London and its Corporation. It should not be confused with London’s City Hall, the administrative centre for Greater London. The term “Guildhall” refers both to the whole building and to its main room, which is a medieval great hall. The nearest London Underground stations are Bank, St Paul’s and Moorgate. It is a Grade I-listed building. The current building began construction in 1411 and completed in 1440. The Great Hall did not completely escape damage in the Great Fire of London in 1666; it was partially restored (with a flat roof) in 1670. The present grand entrance (the east wing of the south front), in “Hindoostani Gothic“, was added in 1788 by George Dance. A more extensive restoration than that in 1670 was completed in 1866 by the City of London architect Sir Horace Jones, who added a new timber roof in close keeping with the original hammerbeam ceiling. This replacement was destroyed during the Second Great Fire of London on the night of 29/30 December 1940, the result of a Luftwaffe fire-raid. It was replaced in 1954 during works designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, though the original hammerbeam design was not retained. Trials at the Guildhall have included those of Anne Askew (the Protestant martyr), Thomas Cranmer (Archbishop of Canterbury) and Lady Jane Grey (“the Nine Days’ Queen”) as well as Henry Garnet (executed for his complicity in the Gunpowder Plot of 1605). The 1783 hearing of the infamous Zong case, the outcome of which focused public outrage about the transatlantic slave trade, also took place at Guildhall. On 16 November 1848, the pianist Frédéric Chopin made his last public appearance on a concert platform there. The marathon route of the 2012 Summer Olympics passed through Guildhall Yard.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
GUILDHALL VOLUNTEER ASSOCIATION.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, JASPER ATKINSON.
THE above Association was formed in May 1798, under Jasper Atkinson, Esq.; and at present consists of one Grenadier, one Battalion, and one Light Infantry Company: the Committee is chosen out of each Company by ballot; and their Colours were presented by Mrs. Atkinson, on the 10th of October, 1798, at Pentonville.
Major Commandant, Jasper Atkinson. Grenadiers. –Captain, ; Lieutenant Battalion.–Captain, ; Lieutenant, ; Ensign, Light Infantry.–Captain, ; Lieutenant,
DRESS OF THE LIGHT INFANTRY.
Helmets; turned-up, Leopard-skin; overall, Bear’s Fur and green Feather. Breastplate, oval; a representation of Guildhall within wreaths of Laurel, and round inscribed, GUILDHALL VOLUNTEER ASSOCIATION.
Buttons, a Crown, with G. V. A. under it.
B. The Proprietor was not permitted, upon inquiry, to know the names of the respective Officers; nor favoured with the terms on which the Corps was inrolled; he has therefore left a space for each name to be ﬁlled up at pleasure.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.