Fowler’s “Carry on”, 1915 (No 14425)
Traction Engines 1900-1933
Out of stock
Carry On is a 10 n h p Showman’s Engine built by Fowler & Co. of Leeds in May 1916. This engine was originally built as a heavy haulage engine to tow Howitzer guns in France for the War Department. It was converted to a Showman’s engine in 1923 by Charles Openshaw of Reading and was sold to the Condonas family in Scotland who ran pleasure fairs and now own and operate an amusement park in Aberdeen. In 1943 it was sold to McGiverns of Northern Ireland and was last used in 1959 St Patrick’s Day celebrations in Dublin before being shipped back to England by Jack Stantham.
Restored by Lance Stantham, the engine is capable of generating 300 amps at 100 volts. The engine is now owned by the Saunders collection in Bedfordshire. The engine visits many Steam fairs with their collection of Old time Fairground Rides for which it provides power.
|Dimensions||44.5 × 35.5 cm|