No. 61 Vintry Ward Volunteer
CLUB ARMS [1st Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
Vintry is one of the 25 wards of the City of London. (See maps – click to expand). Located within it is the City end of Southwark Bridge and, adjacent to that, the hall of the Worshipful Company of Vintners, the City livery company for the wine trade. The ward’s boundary is formed by Cannon Street to the north, College Hill and Cousin Lane to the east, the River Thames to the south, and its western edge follows an unusual line along part of Little Trinity Lane, Lambeth Hill and Distaff Lane.
The Christopher Wren-designed church St James Garlickhythe is within Vintry ward, near Mansion House tube station. In medieval times, French wine and garlic were landed at the nearby Garlickhythe (‘garlic dock’). This circumstance led to the church being part of the route for English pilgrims travelling to the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain, which is sacred to the memory of St James the Great. The ward contained Whittington’s Longhouse, a 128-seat public toilet gifted by Dick Whittington.
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
VINTRY WARD VOLUNTEERS.
CAPTAIN ROBERT PRICKWOOD.
This Corps engaged on the 1st of May, 1797, (when it was formed) that the Members should, at their own Expence, supply themselves with all things necessary for arming, for the Protection of good Order, and defending the Property of their Neighbours from violation, and to assist the City Magistrates on every emergency. Their number is upwards of 60, Rank and File, forming one Company; and they join, for the purpose of Exercise, with Bread-street, Cheap, Cornhill, the Two Cripplegates, Dowgate, and Walbrook Wards, and probably will soon be united to others. They have a Committee chosen by the Ward, consisting of the Officers and other Inhabitants; and the Corps received their Colours from the hand of Mrs. Christin, the 27th of August, 1798, at Kennington Bowling Green.
Captain, Robert Prickwood. Lieutenant, F. H. Christin; Ensign, James Brooks.
Helmets; Label, VINTRY WARD VOLUNTEERS; and the Side Ornament G. R. within the Garter.
Breastplate; V. W. V. in the centre, and PRO ARIS ET FOCIS round.
Buttons, round, otherwise similar to Breastplate.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.