Subaltern, Royal Ulster Rifles, 1939
The Royal Ulster Rifles merged with 3 regiments in 1968 to form the Royal Irish Rangers which merged with the Ulster Defence Regiment in 1992 to form the Royal Irish Regiment
Since 1992 The Royal Irish Regiment. The Royal Ulster Rifles were raised in 1793 as the 83rd and 86th Regiments in Ireland and amalgamated in 1831 into the Royal Irish Rifles. In 1922 the name was changed to Royal Ulster Rifles. In 1968 they amalgamated with the Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria’s) and the The South Staffordshire Regiment to create the Royal Irish Rangers. This had a short existence merged with the Ulster Defence Regiment in 1992 to form the Royal Irish Regiment. This officer is wearing the full-dress uniform common to rifle regiments in 1914, which was revived for levees and other similar occasions in 1920 until 1939. It is substantially the same uniform devised for the rifles after the Crimea, except for the busby, which was evolved at the turn of the century. The tunic is of hussar pattern, with five instead of six rows of lace, and the sword is slung in the cavalry fashion with the belt under the tunic. This type of uniform was worn by many regiments of rifle volunteers between 1860 and 1900, after which they were mostly absorbed into the territorial army and adopted the uniform of their parent regular regiments.
|Dimensions||24 × 37.5 cm|