No. 8 Bloomsbury & Inn’s of Court Volunteer
Bloomsbury is a district in the West End of London. It is considered a fashionable residential area, and is the location of numerous cultural, intellectual, and educational institutions.
Bloomsbury is home of the British Museum, the largest museum in the United Kingdom, and several educational institutions, including University College London and a number of other colleges and institutes of the University of London as well as its central headquarters, the New College of the Humanities, the University of Law, the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, the British Medical Association and many others. Bloomsbury is an intellectual and literary hub for London, as home of world-known Bloomsbury Publishing, publishers of the Harry Potter series, and namesake of the Bloomsbury Set, a group of British intellectuals which included author Virginia Woolf, biographer Lytton Strachey, and economist John Maynard Keynes. Bloomsbury began to be developed in the 17th century under the Earls of Southampton, but it was primarily in the 19th century, under the Duke of Bedford, that the district was planned and built as an affluent Regency era residential area by famed developer James Burton. The district is known for its numerous garden squares, including Bloomsbury Square, Russell Square and Bedford Square. The formal historic boundaries of the combined parish of St Giles in the Fields (see map) and St George Bloomsbury (as adjusted in some places to reflect the modern street pattern) include Tottenham Court Road to the west, Torrington Place (formerly known, in part, as Francis Street) to the north, the borough boundary to the south and Marchmont Street and Southampton Row to the east.
The Inns of Court in London are the professional associations for barristers in England and Wales. There are four Inns of Court – Gray’s Inn, Lincoln’s Inn, Inner Temple and Middle Temple.
All barristers must belong to one of them. They have supervisory and disciplinary functions over their members. The Inns also provide libraries, dining facilities and professional accommodation. Each also has a church or chapel attached to it and is a self-contained precinct where barristers traditionally train and practise, although growth in the legal profession, together with a desire to practise from more modern accommodations and buildings with lower rents, caused many barristers’ chambers to move outside the precincts of the Inns of Court in the late 20th century.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
BLOOMSBURY, AND INNS OF COURT VOLUNTEERS.
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL, SAMUEL COMPTON COX.
THIS very respectable Corps was formed June, 1797, to assist, if required, in eflectuating every purpose that propriety and loyalty may justify. They consist of six Companies, beside the attached Corps; and received their Colours June 2d, 1798, from the hand of Lady Loughborough. They have a Committee of sixteen Members, chosen out of the whole Corps by Ballot.
NAMES OF THE OFFICERS.
Lieutenant Colonel, Samuel Compton Cox. Major, William Watson. Captains, James Trebeck, John Mitford, Arthur Palmer, James Trower, William Bouth, John Forster, Thomas Plumer. Lieutenants, F. W. Sanobrs, G. Branwell, G. Brown, Edward King, Sir F. Eden, Bart. S. N. Meredith, John Richardson. Ensigns, Thomas Mills, Henry Richmond, Hon. Charles Agar, John Kirby, J. H. Newbolt, J. Bernard Bosanquet, James York. Adjutant, William Harrison; Surgeon, R. R. Pennington; Serjeant Major, Charles Puller; Secretary, Thomas Lane; Clerk, Joshua Stafford.
Round Hats and Feathers, White.
Breast Plate, plain oval.
Cartouch Box, a Star.
Buttons, plain on full Dress; on undress, B. I. C. A. in Cypher.
Motto on Colours, NOLUMUS MUTARI.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.