Great Northern Railway 2-4-0, No. 891
The GNR Class E1 2-4-0’s were the final version of a design created by Patrick Stirling in 1867. The GNR Class E3 2-4-0’s were designed to haul slow passenger, fast parcel, and special goods traffic. With the GNR facing steadily increasing traffic, these new engines boasted 17 in x 24 in. The E3 design was modified in 1874 to incorporate larger 17.5 in x 26 in cylinders which required longer frames; the smokebox was extended to match. In 1880, the boiler was increased by 2 in to 4 ft 2.5 in. These were given the classification E2, and 117 were built between 1874 and 1895 in 19 batches of varying sizes, most at Doncaster, but two batches (total: 15 engines) were built by Kitson & Co. in 1883-4. The design was modified over time. Stirling died in 1895 and was succeeded by H.A. Ivatt who modified the E2 design to produce his GNR Class E1. The GNR 2-4-0’s were used throughout the GNR network for most of their lives, and typically hauled slow and branch passenger traffic, parcels, and fast goods. In their early days they would sometimes haul light expresses if a Stirling Single was not available. By 1900, the E1s and E2s were increasingly being used for pilot work. With a system-wide shortage of goods engines, they were also being used for goods work. [Engraved by the London Wood Engraving co for The Railway Engineer].
|Dimensions||44.4 × 26 cm|