Officer 24th Foot, 1755 (South Wales Borderers)
The South Wales Borderers were merged into The Royal Regiment of Wales in 1969
The 24th Foot was raised in 1689 as Sir Edward Dering’s Regiment of Foot. They became the 24th (The 2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot in 1782 having fought at Quebec. They were not called South Wales Borderers until the Childers Reforms of 1881. The Regiment fought in Europe in the 17th century, the American Revolutionary War, various conflicts in India, the Zulu War, Second Boer War, and World War I and World War II. In 1969 the regiment was amalgamated with the Welch Regiment to form the Royal Regiment of Wales. Here is a mounted officer of the regiment, perhaps the commanding officer or adjutant, on duty, wearing his crimson sash. The cut of the coat is like others, but the cuffs are slashed. The slash, the ornamental panel on the cuff, was originally an opening, like that on the cuffs of men’s coats to-day, with two or three buttons which could be undone to allow the cuff to be turned back. Cuffs then became larger, and could be turned back without unbuttoning, but often needed some device to hold them up. Often the buttons became part of an elaborate panel, as here. This sort of panel, once worn almost universally, survives today in the full-dress tunic of the Foot Guards and before 1939 was in the tunic of the Royal Marines. The border here is double, the laced panel with the buttons fitting on to a similar panel on the sleeve. The turned-back cuff of the facing colour is stitched down. This arrangement of two fitting panels appeared in various orders of dress in the Royal Navy from about 1770 until 1827 but was not usual in the army. The coat pockets have a similar arrangement. The V-shaped cut in the middle of the slash was then normally straight or cut to a point in the middle as on the cuffs of the Foot Guards to-day.
Source: Portrait of an officer of the Regiment.
|Dimensions||24 × 37.5 cm|