London

Showing 1–20 of 52 results

  • London Brighton and South Coast Railway 1882

    Locomotives 1 1870-1903

  • Midland Railway, 1866

    £15.00

    Locomotives 2 1847-1901

  • Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, 1887

    £15.00

    Locomotives 2 1847-1901

  • Scottish Percussion Pistol by Bond, c. 1830

    £10.00

    Antique Pistols 1690-1815

  • 1904 Krieger Electric

    £15.00

    Early Motor Cars Veteran 1894-1904

  • Quartermaster Sergeant, The City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders), 1903

    £10.00

    The City of London Yeomanry (1900) (20th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry);Rough Riders” borrowed from 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry; retitled 1st City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders) (1902) amalgamated with  Inns of Court Regiment to form Inns of Court & City Yeomanry in 1961; today 68 (Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) Signal Squadron, part of 71 (Yeomanry) Signal Regiment.

    description below

  • 1837, P.S. Sirius

    £15.00

    Paddle Steamers 1812-1924

  • 1837, P.S. Great Western

    £15.00

    Paddle Steamers 1812-1924

  • No.1 St. James’s Volunteer

    £15.00

    Stand at Ease (see original 1798 description below)

    The parish of St. James’s, Westminster taken from the last survey with corrections (1685), engraving by Richard Blome, 1665. The plan’s title features in a banner at the top centre, with a key to streets, yards, halls, courts and private properties at the top left. Land use and natural features described by symbols and three-dimensional illustrations. St James’s Square was laid out in 1662 when Henry Jermyn, Earl of St Albans, obtained a grant of land on the outskirts of London. In 1674, Christopher Wren was appointed architect of the parish church. Courtesy of The Board of The British Library.

    The St. James’s Loyal Volunteer Regiment was centred in the Parish of St. James whose Church is located on Piccadilly in London. See map (click on it to enlarge).  St James’s Church, Piccadilly, also known as St James’s Church, Westminster, and St James-in-the-Fields, is an Anglican church in the centre of London. The church was designed and built by Sir Christopher Wren. The church is built of red brick with Portland stone dressings.
    St James’s is a central district in the City of Westminster, London, forming part of the West End. In the 17th century the area developed as a residential location for the British aristocracy, and around the 19th century was the focus of the development of gentlemen’s clubs. Once part of the parish of St Martin in the Fields, much of it formed the parish of St James from 1685 to 1922. Since the Second World War the area has transitioned from residential to commercial use.
    St James’s is bounded to the north by Piccadilly and Mayfair, to the west by Green Park, to the south by The Mall bounding St. James’s Park, and to the east by Haymarket.

  • No. 2 Royal Westminster Grenadiers

    £15.00
    A New Map of the Citties of London, Westminster & ye Borough of Southwarke, with their Suburbs shewing ye streets, lanes, Allies, Courtes &c with other remarks, as they are now, Truely & Carefully delineated. W. Hollar fecit 1675. From the Crace Collection of Maps of London at the British Library, London. © The British Library Board. (ANNOTATED by Iain Laird on 9th October 2022).
    ATTENTION  (see original 1799 description below)
    Westminster, a central area of London, became a city in 1539. (See map). For centuries Westminster and the City of London were geographically quite distinct.  (See Map). It was not until the sixteenth century that houses began to be built over the adjoining fields, eventually absorbing nearby villages such as Marylebone and Kensington, and gradually creating the vast Greater London that exists today. Westminster is bordered by the City of London to the East and, until 1965 by Marylebone and Paddington to the North (which were both then absorbed into Westminster) and by Kensington and Chelsea to the West. The River Thames forms the Southern border.
    This Corps was an earlier creation than many of the other volunteer units – formed in 1779. At that time Britain was at war on three fronts:  The Revolutionary War in America, the East India Company, with British troops, fighting the Marathas in Wadgaon, India, and were forced to return all territories acquired since 1773 and the Siege of Gibraltar had began.  The London & Westminster Volunteers were a group of well connected gentry from across the whole of London (London and Westminster by this time being two neighbouring cities).
  • No. 3 Broad-Street Ward Volunteers

    £15.00

    Fix Bayonets [1st Motion] (see original 1799 description below)

    1720: Blome’s Map of Broad Street Ward and Cornhill Ward. Image courtesy of British Library Crace Collection. © British Library Board; Maps Crace Port. 8.12. Original map courtesy of The University of Victoria, Canada. [ANNOTATED by Iain Laird on 9th October 2022]
    The map (click on it to expand) shows the boundaries of Broad Street Ward in 1720 (in red) before the fields to the North of London Wall were developed and  incorporated into the Ward. Broad Street is one of the 25 ancient wards of the City of London. In medieval times it was divided into ten precincts and contained six churches, of which only two, St Margaret Lothbury and All Hallows-on-the-Wall now survive: St Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange was demolished in 1840, St Benet Fink in 1844, St Martin Outwich in 1874 and St Peter le Poer in 1907.
    The ward’s northern boundary along London Wall and Blomfield Street borders Coleman Street ward, before curving to the north-east along Liverpool Street, the division with Bishopsgate. From here, Old Broad Street runs south-west along the border with Cornhill where it joins Throgmorton Street, its southern boundary – to the south of which is the Bank of England in Walbrook ward. The western boundary follows a series of small courts and alleys adjacent to Moorgate and then runs up Copthall Avenue. A busy commercial area it also contains two livery halls of the Worshipful Company of Carpenters and Worshipful Company of Drapers. Like many of the City wards it has a social club for people who work in the area, which celebrated its 30th anniversary in March 2006.
    At the top of Old Broad Street, adjacent to Liverpool Street station, was Broad Street station which closed in 1986 – the only major terminus station in London to have permanently closed.

  • No. 9 St. George’s Hanover Square

    £15.00
    St Georges parish, Hanover Square. With the views of the church and chapels of ease from the original survey of the late Mr Morris. 1761. Engraver: George Bickham. Courtesy of The Crace Collection at the British Library London.

    SHOULDER ARMS from Recover 1st Motion (see original 1799 description below)
    A civil parish of St George Hanover Square and an ecclesiastical parish were created in 1724 from part of the ancient parish of St Martin in the Fields (see map attached – click on it to expand).  St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church, the parish church of Mayfair in the City of Westminstercentral London, built in the early eighteenth century. The building is one small block south of Hanover Square, near Oxford Circus. Because of its location, it has frequently been the venue for society weddings. The Parish was formed following the decision by Parliament in 1711 to promote the erection of 50 new Churches within the Cities of London and Westminster (the Queen Anne Churches). The Parish comprised what had previously been St Martin-in-the-Fields and stretched from Regent Street to the Serpentine, and south from Oxford Street to include Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico. The Church St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church in the City of Westminster, central London, built in the early eighteenth century as part of a project to build fifty new churches around London. The church was designed by John James, an apprentice of Sir Christopher Wren; its site was donated by General William Steuart, who laid the first stone in 1721.

  • No. 12 Temple Bar and St. Paul’s (Later Loyal London Volunteers)

    £15.00

    Loyal Volunteers of London

    (The image below, from the Illustrated London News, is shown for historical interest and is not for sale)
    Temple Bar was the principal ceremonial entrance to the City of London from the City of Westminster. In the middle ages, London expanded city jurisdiction beyond its walls to gates, called ‘bars’, which were erected across thoroughfares. To the west of the City of London, the bar was located in the area known as the Temple. Temple Bar is situated on the historic royal ceremonial route from the Tower of London to the Palace of Westminster, the two chief residences of the medieval English monarchs, and from the Palace of Westminster to St Paul’s Cathedral. The road east of Temple Bar and within the City is Fleet Street, while the road to the west, in Westminster, is The Strand.

    Temple Bar Gate in 1870. The Illustrated London News.
  • No. 14 Temple Association

    £15.00

    PRESENT ARMS [3rd Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
    As well as contributing towards the defence of the nation as a whole, members of the Temples formulated a plan for the defence of London in the eventuality of invasion by the French. A meeting was held on 7 April 1798 nearby at George’s Coffee House, and a committee of seven was appointed. This committee oversaw the creation of a plan to form a defence association, chaired by the Inner Temple Treasurer, Sir Robert Graham, to serve in a military capacity at their own expense. This plan was laid by Graham before King George III, who commanded him ‘to express to the committee the satisfaction which His Majesty has received from this proof of the zeal and loyalty of the members and inhabitants of the Inner and Middle Temples’. The association became known as The Temple Association Volunteers and fielded three companies, about three hundred men. It was active until 1802, when it was combined with the Lincoln’s Inn Association to form the Law Association Volunteers (1803-1808), which was granted the nickname ‘The Devil’s Own’.  Grateful acknowledgement to The Masters of the Bench of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple –  Middle Temple Archive and History © The Honourable Society of Middle Temple [2022]

  • No. 17 Hans Town Association

    £15.00

    STAND at EASE [Supporting Arms] (see original 1799 description below)
    Hans Town is an area of West London in Chelsea and Kensington approximately surrounding Sloane Square that was owned by Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753).  Sloane was an Anglo-Irish physician, naturalist, and collector who provided the foundation of the British Museum, the British Library, and the Natural History Museum, London. He was elected to the Royal Society at the age of 24 and later succeeded Sir Isaac Newton as its President.  Sloane travelled to the Caribbean in 1687 and documented his travels and findings with extensive publications years later. He was a renowned medical doctor among the aristocracy, and was elected to the Royal College of Physicians at age 27. 

  • No. 20 The Honourable Artillery Company of London

    £15.00

    ORDER ARMS [2nd Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
    The Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) is a reserve regiment in the British Army. Incorporated by royal charter in 1537 by King Henry VIII, it is the oldest regiment in the British Army and is considered the second-oldest military unit in the world. Today, it is also a charity whose purpose is to attend to the “better defence of the realm”, primarily through supporting the HAC regiment and a detachment of City of London Special Constabulary. The word artillery in this context dates from a time when it meant small projectiles, such as arrows.  In the 17th century, its members played a significant part in the formation of both the Royal Marines and the Grenadier Guards. More recently, regiments, battalions and batteries of the Company fought with distinction in both World Wars and its current Regiment, which forms part of the Army Reserve, is the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior in the Army Reserve after the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia).  Members of the Regiment and Specials are drawn, for the most part, from young men and women working in and around the City and Greater London. Those leaving the active units may become Veteran Members and remain within the fraternity of the Company.

  • No. 21 Pimlico Volunteer Association

    £15.00

    UNFIX BAYONET [1st Motion] (see original 1798 description below)
    Pimlico is an area of West London on the North side of the River Thames lying between Westminster and Chelsea. It is an upscale residential area with quiet streets lined with 19th-century homes. Its many hotels, plus proximity to Tate Britain, Chelsea and the Houses of Parliament make it popularPimlico was built as a southern extension to neighbouring Belgravia. It is known for its garden squares and distinctive Regency architecture. Pimlico is demarcated to the north by Victoria Station, by the River Thames to the south, Vauxhall Bridge Road to the east and the former Grosvenor Canal to the west. At its heart is a grid of residential streets laid down by the planner Thomas Cubitt, beginning in 1825 and now protected as the Pimlico Conservation Area. The most prestigious are those on garden squares, with buildings decreasing in grandeur away from St George’s SquareWarwick SquareEccleston Square and the main thoroughfares of Belgrave Road and St. George’s Drive. Additions have included the pre–World War II Dolphin Square and the Churchill Gardens and Lillington and Longmoore Gardens estates, now conservation areas in their own right. The area has over 350 Grade II listed buildings and several Grade II* listed churches. At the western edge of Pimlico, on the borders of Chelsea, Pimlico Road has become known in recent years for its interiors and design stores. Pimlico was the location of Hugh Evelyn Limited’s book and print store in the late 60’s and early 70’s.
    Residents have included politician Winston Churchill who lived on Eccleston Square, designer Laura Ashley, philosopher Swami Vivekananda, actor Laurence Olivier, illustrator and author Aubrey Beardsley, Kenyan president Jomo Kenyatta, Australian prime minister Billy Hughes, lawn-tennis inventor Major Walter Wingfield, and world record–holding pilot Sheila Scott.

  • No. 24 East India Company

    £15.00

    “East India House,” by Thomas Malton the Younger (1748-1804), watercolour over etched outline. 8 1/2 in. x 11 15/16 in. (21.6 cm x 30.3 cm). Courtesy of the Paul Mellon Collection, Yale Center for British Art, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. [Downloaded from Wikipedia https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:East_India_House_by_Thomas_Malton_the_Younger.jpg]
    AN OFFICER SALUTING
    The East India Company was an English joint-stock company founded in 1600  formed to trade in the Indian Ocean region. The company seized control of large parts of the Indian subcontinent, colonised parts of Southeast Asia and Hong Kong after the First Opium War, and maintained trading posts and colonies in the Persian Gulf Residencies. It was headquartered in a large imposing building in Leadenhall Street in the heart of the City of London (see image attached). The company rose to account for half of the world’s trade during the mid-1700’s and early 1800’s, particularly in basic commodities including cotton, silk, indigo dye, sugar, salt, spices, saltpetre, tea, and opium. The company eventually came to rule large areas of India, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions.   There were both London based employees and retirees from India and the other outposts of the Company who had returned to England who provided the manpower for this Volunteer Association. Given that the Company had its own Army and Navy there would have been no shortage of suitable trained soldiers to join the ranks of the Volunteers.

  • No. 27 Fulham Association

    £15.00

    GROUND ARMS [2nd Motion] (see original 1798 description below)

    Fulham was a parish in the west of London lying in the bend of the River Thames between Chelsea to the East and Hammersmith to the North. Today it comprises the southern part of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

  • No. 28 St. Andrew Holborn & St. George the Martyr

    £15.00

    GROUND ARMS [3rd Motion] (see original 1798 description below)

    St Andrew Holborn was an ancient English parish that until 1767 was partly in the City of London and mainly in the county of Middlesex. Its City (Southern) part retained its former name or sometimes  referred to as St Andrew Holborn Below the Bars.  From the old Thavie’s Inn,  Holborn embraced the legal worlds of Lincoln’s Inn and Grey’s Inn and stretched to  St. Giles in the Fields to the West. The Church of St. Andrew in Holborn was rebuilt to Wren’s design in 1686.

    St George the Martyr (and thus the working centre of the old Parish) is a church in the historic Borough district of south London. It lies within the modern-day London Borough of Southwark, on Borough High Street at the junction with Long Lane, Marshalsea Road, and Tabard Street. St George the Martyr is named after Saint George. Wikipedia

End of content

End of content