No. 41 Lambeth Volunteer
PRIME & LOAD [3rd loading motion] (see original 1798 description below)
Lambeth (see map) was a civil parish and metropolitan borough in south London, England. It was an ancient parish in the county of Surrey. The parish was included in the area of responsibility of the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1855 and became part of the County of London in 1889. The parish of Lambeth became a metropolitan borough in 1900, following the London Government Act 1899, with the parish vestry replaced by a borough council. The ancient parish was divided into the six divisions of Bishop’s Liberty, Prince’s Liberty, Vauxhall Liberty, Marsh and Wall Liberty, Lambeth Dean and Stockwell Liberty. It covered an area 4,015 acres (recorded in 1851 census) and was 7 miles (11.3 km) north to south, but only 2.75 miles (4.4 km) at its widest east to west. In addition to the historic riverside area of Lambeth, this included Kennington, Vauxhall, Stockwell, Brixton, the western part of Herne Hill, Tulse Hill and West Norwood.
As the population was increasing, in 1824 the ancient parish was subdivided into ecclesiastical districts of Brixton, Kennington, Lambeth Church, Waterloo Road and West Norwood. These districts were adopted for census reporting in 1841 with Lambeth Church and Waterloo Road further subdivided into first and second divisions.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
LAMBETH LOYAL VOLUNTEERS.
LIEUTENANT COLONEL, SIR ROBERT BURNETT, KNT.
This Corps consists of three Companies of Infantry of 60 Privates each; also one Troop of Cavalry, described No. VIII. of the Cavalry. They were formed on the 28th of April 1798, and resolved to provide their own Clothing, &c. to serve without pay, and to assist the Civil Magistrates within the Parish; and on the 22d of September the Corps was honoured with their Colours from the hands of Lady Burnett and Mrs. Barrett, in a Field behind Vauxhall Gardens. The Committee consists of the Officers; and six other Members are appointed by the Corps.
Lieutenant Colonel, Sir Robert Burnett, Knt. Major, Bryan Barrett; Adjutant, Samuel ‘Swallow. Chaplain, the Rev. Dr. Vyse; Surgeon, Charles Curson. First Company.–Captain Earle; First Lieutenant, Ab. Ricardo; Second Lieutenant, Thomas Burne. Second Company.–Captain, John Stanbank; First Lieutenant, Bourne Roupel; Second Lieutenant, John Dutton. Third Company.-Captain, Edward Edwards; First Lieutenant, James Colman; Second Lieutenant, Edward Biven.
Helmet, Bearskin ; Feather, red tipped white. Breastplate, yellow and oval; L. L. V. Half Gaiters.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.