No. 9 St. George’s Hanover Square
SHOULDER ARMS from Recover 1st Motion (see original 1799 description below)
A civil parish of St George Hanover Square and an ecclesiastical parish were created in 1724 from part of the ancient parish of St Martin in the Fields (see map attached – click on it to expand). St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church, the parish church of Mayfair in the City of Westminster, central London, built in the early eighteenth century. The building is one small block south of Hanover Square, near Oxford Circus. Because of its location, it has frequently been the venue for society weddings. The Parish was formed following the decision by Parliament in 1711 to promote the erection of 50 new Churches within the Cities of London and Westminster (the Queen Anne Churches). The Parish comprised what had previously been St Martin-in-the-Fields and stretched from Regent Street to the Serpentine, and south from Oxford Street to include Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico. The Church St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church in the City of Westminster, central London, built in the early eighteenth century as part of a project to build fifty new churches around London. The church was designed by John James, an apprentice of Sir Christopher Wren; its site was donated by General William Steuart, who laid the first stone in 1721.
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
Nos. IX. and XI.
ST. GEORGE’SHANOVER SQUARE VOLUNTEERS
This Corps was formed late in 1792. On the 7th of December, Mr. Edward Foster called a meeting of the inhabitants, and they resolved to arm for the protection of each other, and the bringing to justice such persons as disturbed the peace or acted in any way contrary to the laws of the land, or to the interests of the Sovereign. This undertaking being more generally known, a meeting of the Nobility, Gentry, and others, took place at the Festino Rooms, Hanover-square, when a subscription was entered into to carry their plan perfectly into effect. In 1794, his Majesty signed the Commission, and Edward Foster was appointed to command. In 1796, additions were made to the Corps; and in 1797, four more Companies, to form a Regiment, and two Flank Companies: but in April 1798, after the result of a Court of Inquiry, his Majesty was pleased to appoint the Earl of Chesterfield, Colonel, and the Hen. Henry Stanhope, Lieut. Colonel, in the room of Col. Foster, and Col. Tyler, who resigned. At this time the Regiment was advanced in number to 630 Rank and File, 21 Drums, 30 Serjeants, 3 Field Officers, 7 Captains, 20 Subalterns, and 5 Staff.
NAMES AND RANK OF THE PRESENT OFFICERS.
Colonel, The Earl of Chesterfield. Lieutenant Colonel, The Hon. Henry Stanhope. Major, Richard Harrison. Captains, Thos. Russell, James Gunter, John Baker, Geo. N. Vincent, Edw. Hawthorn, Robt. Mansbridge, Robt. Whitburn. Captain Lieutenant, Charles Freeman. Lieutenants, Edw. Clemson, Fred. Aug. Walter, Thos. Bale Taylor, Darby Cox, Joseph Whitehead, Francis Ansell, Phil. Stanhope Smelt, Charles Harris, Wm. Williams. Second Lieutenant, Robt. Sewell; Second Lieutenant of Light Company, vacant. Ensigns, John Rotheram, Cyprian Cotterell, Thos. Robey, Thos. Ryder, Watkins Charlton, Richard Cann, Geo. Willingham, and one vacant. Adjutant, Fred. Aug. Walter; Quarter-master, vacant; Chaplain, Rev. Thos. Athe. Agent, Despard Croaisdale, Esq.
The St. George’s are not joined to any other Corps. Their Place of Arms, and Parade, in North Audley-street. They received their Colours from Field Marshal Sir Geor.ge Howard, in Hyde Park, Feb. 9th, 1795.
Hat; White Feather, tipped with Red. Helmet, Light Infantry; Label, PRO REGE, LEGE, ET PATRIA; a Bugle-horn on the right side. Breast-plate, oval, S. G. C. in cypher, in the centre of a Star. Breast-pl ate of Officer, King’s Arms chased on an oval plate, gilt, &c. Pouch, George and Dragon; PRO REGE, LEGE, ET PATRIA, round a Crown; at top, G. R. beneath, a Rose and Thistle.
This Regiment has been frequently reviewed, but in 1798, by their Royal Highnesses the Dukes of York and Gloucester, in Hyde Park, who were pleased to honour the St. George’s Hanover-square Volunteers with their highest approbation.
N.B. The Regiment receives a certain yearly sum from the Crown. In Feb. 1799, the whole Corps took the Oath of Fidelity, and were fresh enrolled to serve under a General Officer In the London District, whenever called upon.
|Dimensions||25 × 35 cm|