No. 29 Castle Baynard Volunteer
SECURE ARMS [1st Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
Castle Baynard (see map) is one of the 25 wards of the City of London, the historic and financial centre of London. The ward covers an irregularly shaped area, sometimes likened to a tuning fork, bounded on the east by the wards of Queenhithe and Bread Street; the ward of Farringdon Without to the north and west; the ward of Farringdon Within to the north; and by the River Thames to the south. Major landmarks within the ward include Blackfriars Bridge (the full span of which falls within the City and this ward), the naval establishment HMS President, and St Paul’s Cathedral. In addition, the area includes the churches of St Bride’s, which the Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman described as “magnificent, even by the exalted standards of Sir Christopher Wren“, and St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe. The ward formerly also included the Church of St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street, which burned down in 1886 and was not rebuilt, and its own charitable foundation, Castle Baynard Ward School. Today the Mermaid Theatre, on the site of Curriers’ Alley and Puddle Dock, lie within the ward’s catchment area. The north-bank entrance of Blackfriars station, the only London station to span the Thames, also lies within Castle Baynard. Boundary changes in 2003 expanded the ward considerably into the traditional area of the two Farringdon wards, though a small amount of territory was lost to Queenhithe ward. Today, Castle Baynard is busy and an exceptionally concentrated area of commercial and tourist activity, but still retains its own distinct identity. Castle Baynard derives its name from Baynard’s Castle, which existed there from the Norman Conquest until it burnt down during the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was anciently spelled as one word — Castlebaynard — but this is regarded today as incorrect.
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
CASTLE BAYNARD WARD ASSOCIATION.
CAPTAIN SIR WILLIAM HERNE, KNT.
Tats Association was formed in 1798, under Sir William Herne, Knt. and Alderman of the Ward; their engagements are, not to receive Pay, ﬁnd their own Cloathing, and to serve within the City of London only.
Their Colours were presented to them by Lady Heme, the 11th of October, 1798, at Canonbury House. The Committee is chosen out of the Corps of one Company.
THEIR OFFICERS ARE,
Captain, Sir William Herne, Knt.
First Lieutenant, —-— Howell; Second Lieutenant, –—— Sills.
Helmet ; Label, CASTLE BAYNARD ASSOCIATION.
Breastplate oval, with C. B. A. in cypher.
Buttons with C. B. A. as Breast-plate, Sec.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.