No. 72 Bank of England Volunteers

£15.00

Stothard, Thomas (1755-1834); Presentation of the Colours to the Bank of England Volunteer Corps on 2nd September , 1799 at Lords Ground, Marylebone by the Lady of Samuel Thornton Esq., Governor of the Bank; Courtesy of The Trustees of The Bank of England Museum, where this painting hangs, at Bartholomew Lane, London, EC2R 8AH.

ORDER ARMS (2nd Flugal Motion) (see original 1799 description below)

The Bank was formed in 1694 to assist the Crown to raise funds against the threat of war with France. It was originally based at Mercer’s Hall on Cheapside but in 1734 moved to its current location in London’s main financial district, the City of London, on Threadneedle Street.  It, along with the Mansion House, are located in Walbrook Ward which has expanded north into Cheap Ward (since the 1752 map attached Dowgate Volunteer) to accomodate these and other developments.

The Bank is sometimes known as The Old Lady of Threadneedle Street, a name taken from a satirical cartoon by James Gillray in 1797.  The road junction outside is known as Bank junction.  (The image, the original of which hangs in The Bank of England Museum, is shown for historical interest and is not for sale – click on it to expand)

In stock

Select delivery location

GUARANTEED SAFE CHECKOUT
  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay

Description

Original Description of the unit from 1798:
No. LXXII.
BANK OF ENGLAND VOLUNTEERS
This Corps was formed by the Governors of the Bank, of their own People, in April 1798, under the Command of Thomas Whitmore, Esq. to protect the Bank of England, and the Property; not to receive Pay for military Services; and the Bank to find Clothing, Arms, and Accoutrements. The number of this Corps is limited to 450; and they at present have two Wing and six Battalion Companies, of 50 Privates each.  Their Colours were presented to them on the 2d of September 1799, by the Lady of Samuel Thornton, Esq. Governor of the Bank of England, in Lord’s Ground, Marylebone. These Colours are beautifully ornamented with the figure of Britannia, encircled with branches of Palm and Oak; and on a Label underneath, GOD SAVE THE KING.
The military Committee consists of the Colonel, the Major, and seven Captains, and is permanent during life.
NAMES OF OFFICERS:
Colonel, Thomas Whitmore.
Lieutenant Colonel, vacant; Major, and Adjutant, James Reed.
Surgeon, Mr. Vaux; Chaplain,
Grenadiers. – Captain,
–Mellish; Lieutenants, -Bentley, Bradley.
First Battalion. -Captain, –Puget; Lieutenant, — Best.
Second Battalion. -Captain, — Lewis; Lieutenant, — Aslett.
Third Battalion. -Captain, –Simeon; Lieutenant, — Browning.
Fourth Battalion. – Captain, — Champion; Lieutenant, –Shrubsole.
Fifth Battalion. -Captain, M. Amyand; Lieutenant, — Corner.
Sixth Battalion. -Captain, –Langley; Lieutenant, — Collins.
Light Infantry. -Captain, — Manning; Lieutenants, — Newcombe, – Dawes.
Ensigns, Messrs. Triquet, Towle, Smart, Thomas, Hutchison, Humble.
DRESS:
Breast-plate oval; Britannia. Cartouch-box; Britannia in centre, with BANK VOLUNTEERS round. Whole Gaiters, Grenadiers and Battalion. Short Gaiters, Light Infantry. Grenadiers have Fur Caps.  Battalion, round Hats, with Bear-skin across, and Feather, red and white.

Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25.5 × 32.5 cm