No. 21 Pimlico Volunteer Association
UNFIX BAYONET [1st Motion] (see original 1798 description below)
Pimlico is an area of West London on the North side of the River Thames lying between Westminster and Chelsea. It is an upscale residential area with quiet streets lined with 19th-century homes. Its many hotels, plus proximity to Tate Britain, Chelsea and the Houses of Parliament make it popular. Pimlico was built as a southern extension to neighbouring Belgravia. It is known for its garden squares and distinctive Regency architecture. Pimlico is demarcated to the north by Victoria Station, by the River Thames to the south, Vauxhall Bridge Road to the east and the former Grosvenor Canal to the west. At its heart is a grid of residential streets laid down by the planner Thomas Cubitt, beginning in 1825 and now protected as the Pimlico Conservation Area. The most prestigious are those on garden squares, with buildings decreasing in grandeur away from St George’s Square, Warwick Square, Eccleston Square and the main thoroughfares of Belgrave Road and St. George’s Drive. Additions have included the pre–World War II Dolphin Square and the Churchill Gardens and Lillington and Longmoore Gardens estates, now conservation areas in their own right. The area has over 350 Grade II listed buildings and several Grade II* listed churches. At the western edge of Pimlico, on the borders of Chelsea, Pimlico Road has become known in recent years for its interiors and design stores. Pimlico was the location of Hugh Evelyn Limited’s book and print store in the late 60’s and early 70’s.
Residents have included politician Winston Churchill who lived on Eccleston Square, designer Laura Ashley, philosopher Swami Vivekananda, actor Laurence Olivier, illustrator and author Aubrey Beardsley, Kenyan president Jomo Kenyatta, Australian prime minister Billy Hughes, lawn-tennis inventor Major Walter Wingfield, and world record–holding pilot Sheila Scott.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
PIMLICO VOLUNTEER ASSOCIATION
MAJOR COMMANDANT, STEPHEN ROLLESTON
This Corps formed 23rd April 1798 under Stephen Rolleston, Esq. when they agreed to serve within their own Parish, and without pay, to find their own clothing &c. The Association consists of two Companies, of upwards of 60 each. They have a Committee which is permanent; and all vacancies by death or resignation are filled up at the General Quarterly Meeting. There is also an Auxiliary Corps, or Body of Reserve, consisting of about 200 artificers, who have agreed to serve in case of any Tumult or Invasion; and also to work the engines, and assist otherwise in case of fire; and in addition to these, there is a body of about 50 Special Constables, who likewise act in case of emergency &c. This Corps has the honour to receive their colours May the 20th, 1799, from the hand of the Right Hon. The Countess of Carlisle, in the Rotunda at Ranaleigh; upon which occasion an appropriate Discourse was delivered by the Rev. Weeden Butler.
NAMES OF OFFICERS:
Major Commandant, Stephen Rolleston; also, Captain of First Company. First Company. – Captain, Stephen Rolleston; First Lieutenant, - Granville; Second Lieutenant, –Wood. Second Company. –Captain, Burman; First Lieutenant, — Lambert; Second Lieutenant, – Scott.
Round Hats, Bearskin and Feather;
Breastplate, oval, with a large P in centre of a Garter, with the inscription of LOYAL INFANTRY over all the crown;
Buttons: the same as Breastplate;
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|