No. 75 Cripplegate Ward without Volunteers

£10.00

Cripplegate ward with its division into parishes according to a new survey. Engraving by Benjamin Cole, 1755. This plan was published in William Maitland’s ‘History of London from its Foundation to the Present Time’. Original image courtesy of the Crace Collection at the British Library, London.

ORDER ARMS (from advance Arms 1st motion)  (see original 1799 description below)
Cripplegate was a gate in the London Wall which once enclosed the City of London (see map – click on it to expand).   The gate gave its name to the Cripplegate ward of the City which straddles the line of the former wall and gate, a line which continues to divide the ward into two parts: Cripplegate Within and Cripplegate Without, with a beadle and a deputy (alderman) appointed for each part. Since the 1994 (City) and 2003 (ward) boundary changes, most of the ward is Without, with the ward of Bassishaw having expanded considerably into the Within area. Until World War II, the area approximating to Cripplegate Without was commonly known as simply Cripplegate. The area was almost entirely destroyed in the Blitz of World War II causing the term to fall out of colloquial speech. Cripplegate Without is the site of the Barbican Estate and Barbican Centre, with a small part of these lying in neighbouring Aldersgate Without.  Cripplegate was located at what is now the corner of Wood Street and St Alphage Gardens . The origins of the gate’s name are unclear.  One theory is that it takes its name from the Anglo-Saxon word crepel, meaning a covered or underground passageway. Another theory suggests cripples used to beg there. The nearby church of St Giles lends credence to this suggestion as Saint Giles is the patron saint of cripples and lepers.

 

In stock

GUARANTEED SAFE CHECKOUT
  • Stripe
  • Visa Card
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover Card
  • PayPal
  • Apple Pay

Description

(Original 1799 Description of Unit)
LXXV.
WARD OF CRIPPLEGATE WITHOUT.
CAPTAIN THOMAS SIMONDS.
THIS Association was entered into in May 1798, to preserve the Peace and  Tranquillity of the City, and of this Ward in particular: they consist of  one Light Company, united with Bishopsgate, Broad-street, and Portsoken,  but wear their own Uniform.  No Colours presented, and their number about 44 Privates. They have a Committee, chosen by the Inhabitants  generally. 

OFFICERS’ NAMES. Captain, Thomas Simonds.  First Lieutenant, ; Second Lieutenant
DRESS. Helmets; on a Label, CRIPPLEGATE WARD WITHIN.  Ornament, oval; C. W. W. in cypher.  Breastplate, oval, gilt; Figure of the Gate thereon.  Cartouch; a Star.  Buttons, round ; under the Crown C. W. W.  Half Gaiters.

Additional information

Weight 0.0121 kg
Dimensions 25 × 35 cm

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.