No. 37 Coleman Street Ward
PRIME & LOAD [6th motion] (see original 1798 description below)
Coleman Street is one of the 25 ancient wards of the City of London and lies on the City’s northern boundary with the London Borough of Islington. (See map).
The ward, which includes land lying on either side of the former city wall, takes its name from a road linking Gresham Street with the London Wall road. The first mention of the Ward appears to have been in 1130, but at that time it was common practice to use the name of the ward Alderman to refer to the ward. In the 1130 survey, Coleman Street Ward is thought to correspond to Warda Haconis.
The Ward contains areas both outside and inside the line of the City’s former defensive walls. There was no local gate through the wall until Moorgate, previously a small postern, was built in 1511. Abraham Cowley‘s 1661 Restoration comedy The Cutter of Coleman Street refers to the area. It appears that the area outside, the once very marshy Lower and Little Moorfields (now mostly occupied by Finsbury Circus and the surrounding buildings), previously part of the Soke of Cripplegate and then the Manor of Finsbury, was added in the 17th century, though it was not developed until 1817. The Walbrook, known at this point as Deepditch and running on the line of modern Blomfield Street, formed the eastern boundary of Lower Moorfields and the line continues to form the eastern boundary of the part of the ward lying north of the former wall, with the extra-mural ward of Bishopsgate Without lying east of the brook, and the road which now covers it. This section of the Walbrook, around Blomfield Street, was the focus of the phenomena of the Walbrook Skulls, resulting from the immense quantities of Roman-era human heads that were deposited in the river. These are still regularly uncovered during building work.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
COLEMAN-STREET WARD MILITARY ASSOCIATION.
AT a Meeting of the Inhabitants in the Vestry-room of St. Stephen, Cole- man-street, Deputy Sadler in the chair, in pursuance of a Resolution of the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen, of the 26th of April 1798, it was resolved,
That an Association should be formed of a Corps of Infantry, to aid the Civil Power in preserving Peace and good Order in the Ward: and that a Committee be formed, to consist of the Alderman, Deputy, and Common Council, and twenty other Gentlemen of the Ward, ﬁve of whom were to form a Quorum, &c.; and that it be understood the persons of the Corps be not considered as enlisted Soldiers, but Citizens, meeting in Arms for the general welfare of the City of London, without emolument for such Ser- vice; and that Five Guineas be subscribed by everyone entering into this Association, towards providing Regimentals, &c. This being done on the 1st day of May 1798, the Association was completed, and john Browne, Esq. chosen to be their Captain. They consist of one Company, Infantry, about 4,5 Rank and File, and are not to quit the City without their own consent. ‘
Captain, John Browne. Lieutenant, Henry Soames; Ensign, Nathaniel Davies.
Helmets; now Hats, and yellow Feathers.
Breastplate ; oval, yellow; C. S. W. in cypher, and a Crown.
Whole Black Gaiters.
N.B. This Corps have not yet received their Colours, but are in early expectation of them; nor are they yet joined to any other body of Citizens.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.