In 1678 the Royal Regiment of Scots Dragoons were raised; merged with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards) in 1972 to form today’s The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).
Showing 1–20 of 44 results
In 1678 the Royal Regiment of Scots Dragoons were raised; merged with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards) in 1972 to form today’s The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).
The St. James’s Loyal Volunteer Regiment was centred in the Parish of St. James whose Church is located on Piccadilly in London. See map (click on it to enlarge). St James’s Church, Piccadilly, also known as St James’s Church, Westminster, and St James-in-the-Fields, is an Anglican church in the centre of London. The church was designed and built by Sir Christopher Wren. The church is built of red brick with Portland stone dressings.
St James’s is a central district in the City of Westminster, London, forming part of the West End. In the 17th century the area developed as a residential location for the British aristocracy, and around the 19th century was the focus of the development of gentlemen’s clubs. Once part of the parish of St Martin in the Fields, much of it formed the parish of St James from 1685 to 1922. Since the Second World War the area has transitioned from residential to commercial use.
St James’s is bounded to the north by Piccadilly and Mayfair, to the west by Green Park, to the south by The Mall bounding St. James’s Park, and to the east by Haymarket.
The map (click on it to expand) shows the boundaries of Broad Street Ward in 1720 (in red) before the fields to the North of London Wall were developed and incorporated into the Ward. Broad Street is one of the 25 ancient wards of the City of London. In medieval times it was divided into ten precincts and contained six churches, of which only two, St Margaret Lothbury and All Hallows-on-the-Wall now survive: St Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange was demolished in 1840, St Benet Fink in 1844, St Martin Outwich in 1874 and St Peter le Poer in 1907.
The ward’s northern boundary along London Wall and Blomfield Street borders Coleman Street ward, before curving to the north-east along Liverpool Street, the division with Bishopsgate. From here, Old Broad Street runs south-west along the border with Cornhill where it joins Throgmorton Street, its southern boundary – to the south of which is the Bank of England in Walbrook ward. The western boundary follows a series of small courts and alleys adjacent to Moorgate and then runs up Copthall Avenue. A busy commercial area it also contains two livery halls of the Worshipful Company of Carpenters and Worshipful Company of Drapers. Like many of the City wards it has a social club for people who work in the area, which celebrated its 30th anniversary in March 2006.
At the top of Old Broad Street, adjacent to Liverpool Street station, was Broad Street station which closed in 1986 – the only major terminus station in London to have permanently closed.
SHOULDER ARMS from Recover 1st Motion (see original 1799 description below)
A civil parish of St George Hanover Square and an ecclesiastical parish were created in 1724 from part of the ancient parish of St Martin in the Fields (see map attached – click on it to expand). St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church, the parish church of Mayfair in the City of Westminster, central London, built in the early eighteenth century. The building is one small block south of Hanover Square, near Oxford Circus. Because of its location, it has frequently been the venue for society weddings. The Parish was formed following the decision by Parliament in 1711 to promote the erection of 50 new Churches within the Cities of London and Westminster (the Queen Anne Churches). The Parish comprised what had previously been St Martin-in-the-Fields and stretched from Regent Street to the Serpentine, and south from Oxford Street to include Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico. The Church St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church in the City of Westminster, central London, built in the early eighteenth century as part of a project to build fifty new churches around London. The church was designed by John James, an apprentice of Sir Christopher Wren; its site was donated by General William Steuart, who laid the first stone in 1721.
Loyal Volunteers of London
(The image below, from the Illustrated London News, is shown for historical interest and is not for sale)
Temple Bar was the principal ceremonial entrance to the City of London from the City of Westminster. In the middle ages, London expanded city jurisdiction beyond its walls to gates, called ‘bars’, which were erected across thoroughfares. To the west of the City of London, the bar was located in the area known as the Temple. Temple Bar is situated on the historic royal ceremonial route from the Tower of London to the Palace of Westminster, the two chief residences of the medieval English monarchs, and from the Palace of Westminster to St Paul’s Cathedral. The road east of Temple Bar and within the City is Fleet Street, while the road to the west, in Westminster, is The Strand.
PRESENT ARMS [3rd Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
As well as contributing towards the defence of the nation as a whole, members of the Temples formulated a plan for the defence of London in the eventuality of invasion by the French. A meeting was held on 7 April 1798 nearby at George’s Coffee House, and a committee of seven was appointed. This committee oversaw the creation of a plan to form a defence association, chaired by the Inner Temple Treasurer, Sir Robert Graham, to serve in a military capacity at their own expense. This plan was laid by Graham before King George III, who commanded him ‘to express to the committee the satisfaction which His Majesty has received from this proof of the zeal and loyalty of the members and inhabitants of the Inner and Middle Temples’. The association became known as The Temple Association Volunteers and fielded three companies, about three hundred men. It was active until 1802, when it was combined with the Lincoln’s Inn Association to form the Law Association Volunteers (1803-1808), which was granted the nickname ‘The Devil’s Own’. Grateful acknowledgement to The Masters of the Bench of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple – Middle Temple Archive and History © The Honourable Society of Middle Temple 
STAND at EASE [Supporting Arms] (see original 1799 description below)
Hans Town is an area of West London in Chelsea and Kensington approximately surrounding Sloane Square that was owned by Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753). Sloane was an Anglo-Irish physician, naturalist, and collector who provided the foundation of the British Museum, the British Library, and the Natural History Museum, London. He was elected to the Royal Society at the age of 24 and later succeeded Sir Isaac Newton as its President. Sloane travelled to the Caribbean in 1687 and documented his travels and findings with extensive publications years later. He was a renowned medical doctor among the aristocracy, and was elected to the Royal College of Physicians at age 27.
ORDER ARMS [2nd Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
The Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) is a reserve regiment in the British Army. Incorporated by royal charter in 1537 by King Henry VIII, it is the oldest regiment in the British Army and is considered the second-oldest military unit in the world. Today, it is also a charity whose purpose is to attend to the “better defence of the realm”, primarily through supporting the HAC regiment and a detachment of City of London Special Constabulary. The word artillery in this context dates from a time when it meant small projectiles, such as arrows. In the 17th century, its members played a significant part in the formation of both the Royal Marines and the Grenadier Guards. More recently, regiments, battalions and batteries of the Company fought with distinction in both World Wars and its current Regiment, which forms part of the Army Reserve, is the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior in the Army Reserve after the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia). Members of the Regiment and Specials are drawn, for the most part, from young men and women working in and around the City and Greater London. Those leaving the active units may become Veteran Members and remain within the fraternity of the Company.
UNFIX BAYONET [1st Motion] (see original 1798 description below)
Pimlico is an area of West London on the North side of the River Thames lying between Westminster and Chelsea. It is an upscale residential area with quiet streets lined with 19th-century homes. Its many hotels, plus proximity to Tate Britain, Chelsea and the Houses of Parliament make it popular. Pimlico was built as a southern extension to neighbouring Belgravia. It is known for its garden squares and distinctive Regency architecture. Pimlico is demarcated to the north by Victoria Station, by the River Thames to the south, Vauxhall Bridge Road to the east and the former Grosvenor Canal to the west. At its heart is a grid of residential streets laid down by the planner Thomas Cubitt, beginning in 1825 and now protected as the Pimlico Conservation Area. The most prestigious are those on garden squares, with buildings decreasing in grandeur away from St George’s Square, Warwick Square, Eccleston Square and the main thoroughfares of Belgrave Road and St. George’s Drive. Additions have included the pre–World War II Dolphin Square and the Churchill Gardens and Lillington and Longmoore Gardens estates, now conservation areas in their own right. The area has over 350 Grade II listed buildings and several Grade II* listed churches. At the western edge of Pimlico, on the borders of Chelsea, Pimlico Road has become known in recent years for its interiors and design stores. Pimlico was the location of Hugh Evelyn Limited’s book and print store in the late 60’s and early 70’s.
Residents have included politician Winston Churchill who lived on Eccleston Square, designer Laura Ashley, philosopher Swami Vivekananda, actor Laurence Olivier, illustrator and author Aubrey Beardsley, Kenyan president Jomo Kenyatta, Australian prime minister Billy Hughes, lawn-tennis inventor Major Walter Wingfield, and world record–holding pilot Sheila Scott.
AN OFFICER SALUTING
The East India Company was an English joint-stock company founded in 1600 formed to trade in the Indian Ocean region. The company seized control of large parts of the Indian subcontinent, colonised parts of Southeast Asia and Hong Kong after the First Opium War, and maintained trading posts and colonies in the Persian Gulf Residencies. It was headquartered in a large imposing building in Leadenhall Street in the heart of the City of London (see image attached). The company rose to account for half of the world’s trade during the mid-1700’s and early 1800’s, particularly in basic commodities including cotton, silk, indigo dye, sugar, salt, spices, saltpetre, tea, and opium. The company eventually came to rule large areas of India, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions. There were both London based employees and retirees from India and the other outposts of the Company who had returned to England who provided the manpower for this Volunteer Association. Given that the Company had its own Army and Navy there would have been no shortage of suitable trained soldiers to join the ranks of the Volunteers.
GROUND ARMS [2nd Motion] (see original 1798 description below)
Fulham was a parish in the west of London lying in the bend of the River Thames between Chelsea to the East and Hammersmith to the North. Today it comprises the southern part of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.
GROUND ARMS [3rd Motion] (see original 1798 description below)
St Andrew Holborn was an ancient English parish that until 1767 was partly in the City of London and mainly in the county of Middlesex. Its City (Southern) part retained its former name or sometimes referred to as St Andrew Holborn Below the Bars. From the old Thavie’s Inn, Holborn embraced the legal worlds of Lincoln’s Inn and Grey’s Inn and stretched to St. Giles in the Fields to the West. The Church of St. Andrew in Holborn was rebuilt to Wren’s design in 1686.
St George the Martyr (and thus the working centre of the old Parish) is a church in the historic Borough district of south London. It lies within the modern-day London Borough of Southwark, on Borough High Street at the junction with Long Lane, Marshalsea Road, and Tabard Street. St George the Martyr is named after Saint George. Wikipedia
MAKE READY [as a Center Rank] (see original 1799 description below)
St George’s, Hanover Square, is an Anglican church (and thus the epicentre of the old parish) in the City of Westminster, central London, built in the early eighteenth century as part of a project to build fifty new churches around London (the Queen Anne Churches). (See Map). The church was designed by John James; its site was donated by General William Steuart, who laid the first stone in 1721. The building is one small block south of Hanover Square, near Oxford Circus. Because of its location, it has frequently been the venue for society weddings.
PRIME & LOAD [as a Rear Rank] (see original 1798 description below)
Farringdon Within is one of the 25 wards of the City of London, the historic and financial centre of London. (See maps – click to enlarge). It was formed in the 14th century from the sub-division of the pre-existing Farringdon Ward into Farringdon Within (inside the line of the Former London Wall), and Farringdon Without, beyond the Wall.
Farringdon Without and Farringdon Within are unconnected to the Farringdon area to the north, outside the City, in Clerkenwell. Southern Clerkenwell is sometimes referred to as Farringdon due to the presence of Farringdon Station, which was named after Farringdon Street and originally named Farringdon Street Station.
The Wards of London appear to have taken shape in the 11th century, before the Norman Conquest. Their administrative, judicial and military purpose made them equivalent to Hundreds in the countryside. The primary purpose of Wards like Farringdon, which included a gate, appears to be the defence of the gate, as gates were the weakest points in any fortification. Farringdon was a very large ward and had two gates, Ludgate and Newgate lying just outside the gate). Early charters show that the western boundary of the City and Westminster was pushed back to approximately its current position in around 1000, though the area outside the walls is thought to have been sparsely populated, if at all, at this time.
Farringdon was later named after Sir Nicholas de Faringdon, who was appointed Lord Mayor of London for “as long as it shall please him” by King Edward II. The Ward had been in the Faringdon family for 82 years at this time, his father, William de Faringdon preceding him as Alderman in 1281, when he purchased the position. William de Faringdon was Lord Mayor in 1281–82 and also a Warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company.
Aldgate was a gate in the former defensive wall around the City of London. (See map – click to expand).It gives its name to Aldgate High Street, the first stretch of the A11 road, which included the site of the former gate. The area of Aldgate, the most common use of the term, is focused around the former gate and the High Street and includes part of the city and parts of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) east of Charing Cross. There is also an Aldgate Ward of the City of London. The Ward is of ancient origin, but intramural, so almost entirely distinct from the area around Aldgate High Street, which is mostly outside the line of the London Wall.
PRESENT [as a rear rank]
Walbrook is a City ward and a minor street in its vicinity. The ward is named after a river of the same name. (see maps – click to enlarge). The ward of Walbrook contains two of the City’s most notable landmarks: the Bank of England and the Mansion House. The street runs between Cannon Street and Bank junction, though vehicular traffic can only access it via Bucklersbury, a nearby side-road off Queen Victoria Street. A street called Walbrook runs along the lower part of the brook’s course. A valley is clearly visible; this can be seen most clearly at the junction of Walbrook and Cannon Street. On the street is the church of St Stephen Walbrook, which originally stood on the west bank of the stream, but was rebuilt around 1439 on the east side. In 1666 the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London; Christopher Wren built a new church there in 1672, which still stands, to replace it. The Bank of England and the Mansion House, the official residence of the Lord Mayor, are both situated in Walbrook ward, as is the historic London Stone (the latter situated on Cannon Street).
Walbrook is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an Alderman and Commoners (the City equivalent of a Councillor) to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation. Only electors who are Freemen of the City of London are eligible to stand.
Advance Arms (see original 1799 description below)
Clerkenwell is an area of central London, England (see map – click on it to expand). It was an ancient parish from the mediaeval period onwards, and now forms the south-western part of the London Borough of Islington. The well after which it was named was rediscovered in 1924. The watchmaking and watch repairing trades were once of great importance. Goswell Street formed the eastern boundary of the Clerkenwell parishes, with the River Fleet, now buried beneath Farringdon Road and other streets, forming the western boundary with Holborn and, in part, St Pancras. This western boundary with both neighbouring areas is now used as part of the London Borough of Islington’s western boundary with the London Borough of Camden. Pentonville is a part of northern Clerkenwell, while the southern part is sometimes referred to as Farringdon, after the railway station of that name – which was named after Farringdon Road (an extension of Farringdon Street) and originally named Farringdon Street Station. Finsbury Town Hall and the Finsbury Estate lie in Clerkenwell, rather than Finsbury. They are named after the former Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury which included Clerkenwell, Finsbury and other areas. The Industrial Revolution changed the area greatly. It became a centre for breweries, distilleries and the printing industry. It gained an especial reputation for the making of clocks, marine chronometers and watches, which activity once employed many people from around the area. Flourishing craft workshops still carry on some of the traditional trades, such as jewellery-making.
ADVANCE ARMS [4th Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
Westminster, a central area of London, became a city in 1539. (See Map attached – click on it to expand). For centuries Westminster and the City of London were geographically quite distinct. It was not until the sixteenth century that houses began to be built over the adjoining fields, eventually absorbing nearby villages such as Marylebone and Kensington, and gradually creating the vast Greater London that exists today. Westminster is bordered by the City of London to the East and, until 1965 by Marylebone and Paddington to the North (which were both then absorbed into Westminster) and by Kensington and Chelsea to the West. The River Thames forms the Southern border.
SHOULDER ARMS [from advance 1st Motion] (see original 1799 description below)
Bread Street (see maps – click to expand) is one of the 25 wards of the City of London the name deriving from its principal street, which was anciently the City’s bread market; already named Bredstrate (to at least 1180) for by the records it appears as that in 1302, Edward I announced that “the bakers of Bromley and Stratford-le-Bow [London], and ones already living on the street, were forbidden from selling bread from their own homes or bakeries, and could only do so from Bread Street. The street itself is just under 500 ft (153 m) in length and now forms the eastern boundary of the ward after the 2003 boundary changes. The modern ward extends much further west from Bread Street itself and includes Paternoster Square, a modern development to the north of St Paul’s Cathedral and home of the London Stock Exchange since 2004. The City’s major shopping centre which opened in 2010 is at One New Change within Bread Street Ward. As with most of the City’s 25 wards, the boundaries of Bread Street were altered quite considerably in 2003, having remained almost unchanged for centuries. The ward is now bounded on its north by Cheap Ward; to the east by Cordwainer Ward; to the south by Queenhithe and Vintry Wards; and to the west by Castle Baynard and Farringdon Within Wards. Its geographical boundaries are Bread Street in the east; Newgate Street and Cheapside in the north; Warwick Lane and Ave Maria Lane in the west; and Queen Victoria Street to the south. St Paul’s Cathedral is outside the ward boundaries, being in Castle Baynard Ward, but St Paul’s Cathedral School, situated between the cathedral and New Change is within the ward. Five successive Livery Halls of the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers (workers in fine leather) stood in the ward. They are commemorated by a blue plaque in the gardens of St Paul’s facing Cannon Street. The fifth and last hall was built between 1909–10, but on the night of 10 May 1941 was gutted during the Blitz. There were once two churches in the ward, All Hallows Bread Street and St Mildred, Bread Street, both to the design of Christopher Wren. Today their former parishes comprise part of St Mary-le-Bow on Cheapside. All Hallows was demolished in 1876 to make way for warehouses, and St Mildred was destroyed during The Blitz in April and May 1941.
End of content
End of content