No. 43 St. Saviour, Southwark Volunteer
PRIME & LOAD [5th loading motion] (see original 1799 description below)
Southwark St Saviour (see map) was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England, and part of the ancient Borough of Southwark. It was formed in 1541 from the union of the parishes of St Margaret and St Mary. It was abolished in 1930, however residents of the former parish receive a rebate against local taxation because of the presence of Borough Market. It included the Liberty of the Clink which was a special jurisdiction until 1889. The parish contained the large wholesale food market Borough Market. The trustees of the market have been appointed by the parish since 1756. Additionally, any profit from the operation of the market must be repaid to the local authority and used to offset local taxation. This arrangement has outlasted the abolition of the parish in 1930 and council tax payers in the former parish receive a rebate against their Council Tax. To the north the parish had a long boundary fronting the River Thames and the City of London. It stretched, in modern terms, to include the whole of the Bankside Power Station in the west and fell just short of London Bridge station in the east. Half of the current site of Guy’s Hospital was within the parish, with Great Maze Pond broadly marking the boundary with St Olave. Parts of what is now Newcomen Street, Little Dorrit Court and Southwark Bridge Road broadly marked the irregular southern boundary with St George the Martyr parish. In the west there was a boundary with Southwark Christchurch (formerly the liberty of Paris Garden) that followed, but fell short of, what is now Great Suffolk Street, Sumner Street, and Holland Street.
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
SAVIOUR’S, SOUTHWARK, ASSOCIATION.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, — POTT.
This Corps was formed the 24th of April, 1798, and a standing Committee chosen to conduct its affairs, when they came to the following resolutions : Not to march out of the Parish, unless by individual consent; to serve without Pay, and the Committee to defray the Expences of Arms, Accoutrements, and Clothes, required, out of the general fund raised by voluntary contributions; the Committee are also empowered to remunerate such Members as might be deserving, and desirous of accepting a compensation for their time. This Corps at present consists of three Companies, of about 60 Privates each, and
THEIR OFFICERS ARE,
Major Commandant, — Pott. First Company.-Captain, —– Marden; First Lieutenant, -i- Per- kins; Second Lieutenant, —-— Field. Second Company.–Captain, —-Whitehead; First Lieutenant, –— Cole; Second Lieutenant, – Hunt. Third Company.- Captain, — Puckle; First Lieutenant, — Bradley ; Second Lieutenant, -— Baggerley.
Helmet; Label, ST. SAVIOUR’S SOUTHWARK. Ornament on ditto, Crown and Garter, G. R. in centre. Breastplate, oval; Crown, and St. S. S. Buttons, round, and same as on Breastplate. Whole Gaiters.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.