No. 28 St. Andrew Holborn & St. George the Martyr
GROUND ARMS [3rd Motion] (see original 1798 description below)
St Andrew Holborn was an ancient English parish that until 1767 was partly in the City of London and mainly in the county of Middlesex. Its City (Southern) part retained its former name or sometimes referred to as St Andrew Holborn Below the Bars. From the old Thavie’s Inn, Holborn embraced the legal worlds of Lincoln’s Inn and Grey’s Inn and stretched to St. Giles in the Fields to the West. The Church of St. Andrew in Holborn was rebuilt to Wren’s design in 1686.
St George the Martyr (and thus the working centre of the old Parish) is a church in the historic Borough district of south London. It lies within the modern-day London Borough of Southwark, on Borough High Street at the junction with Long Lane, Marshalsea Road, and Tabard Street. St George the Martyr is named after Saint George. Wikipedia
Free shipping on orders over $50!
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- No Hassle Refunds
- Secure Payments
Original Description of the unit from 1798:
ST. ANDREW AND ST. GEORGE MILITARY ASSOCIATION
CAPTAIN COMMANDANT, JOHN MILLER
This Association was first formed the 3rd May 1798: the regulations are numerous, but the principal ones are, that the Companies shall consist of 60 men each, including Officers; and that the Commissioned Officers and Serjeants shall be elected by the respective Companies. At present, the Corps consists of two Companies, and forming a third, and their number is 137 Privates; they have no Colours, nor intend any until they form a Corps of six, or 300 men, and then to have a settled Field Officer and Staff. They have a committee composed of the Commissioned Officers and one Private, returned by the election of and for each Company. DRESS: Helmets – on the right side the arms of England; Breast-Plates – silver; Crown and Union Hands, with the inscription of the title of association; Cartouch Box – a star on a silver plate; Buttons – silver, with initials of the Corps; Half Gaiters.
THEIR PRESENT OFFICERS ARE:
Captain Commandant, John Miller. First Company. – Captain, John Miller; First Lieutenant, John Pryce; Second Lieutenant, William Reader. Second Company. – Captain, John Bate; First Lieutenant, William Cardale, Jun.; Second Lieutenant, John Kenworthy Cooke. Their places of arms they never disclose.
Helmets; on the right side the Arms of England. Breast-plates, silver; Crown and Union Hands, with the inscription of the title of the Association. Cartouch Box; a Star on a silver plate. Buttons, silver, with initials of the Corps. Half Gaiters.
N.B. They unite for the purpose only of exercise, with St. George’s Bloomsbury, Clerkenwell, St. Clement Danes, and the Sepulchre.
|Dimensions||25.5 × 32.5 cm|