No. 10 St. Martin’s in the Fields Volunteer
CHARGE BAYONET [1st motion] (see original 1798 description below)
St Martin-in-the-Fields is a Church of England parish church at the north-east corner of Trafalgar Square in the City of Westminster, London. It is dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours. There has been a church on the site since at least the medieval period. It was at that time located in the farmlands and fields beyond the London wall, when it was awarded to Westminster Abbey for oversight. It became a principal parish church west of the old City in the early modern period as Westminster’s population grew. When its medieval and Jacobean structure was found to be near failure, the present building was constructed in an influential neoclassical design by James Gibbs in 1722–1726. The church is one of the visual anchors adding to the open-urban space around Trafalgar Square. St Martin-in-the-Fields (see map) was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It took its name from the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields and was within the Liberty of Westminster. It included within its boundaries the former extra-parochial areas of Buckingham Palace and St James’s Palace. It was an ancient parish. In 1542 it gained most of what became its final form “lands between the church of St Clement Danes and the Palace of Westminster” from the parish of Westminster St Margaret. It originally included four other areas, carved out as new parishes. It originally amounted to the area in green on the map, the whole Liberty, except for the part of St Margarets which formed Knightsbridge (the far west) and the part of St Clement Danes and St Mary le Strand within the ancient Liberty, very small areas north of the Strand (in the Liberty’s extreme east).
Original Description of the unit from 1799:
ST. MARTIN’S IN THE FIELDS VOLUNTEERS.
MAJOR COMMANDANT, G. GLEDSTONES.
THIS Corps was formed, July, 1797, for the purpose of preserving tranquillity within their own limits, protecting the civil magistrates, if called on, and for the preservation of private property among themselves ; they consist of three Battalion Companies; they have not yet received their Colours in form, but shortly expect them. The Corps is regulated by a Committee elected every three months; and the members are chosen from the officers, with two privates out of each company.
PRINCIPAL OFFICERS ARE,
Major Gledstones ; Captains Drummond and Antrobus; Lieutenants, C. Craig, Edw. Booth, —-— Laurie, ——— Chalmers, -—– Drummond, and —-— Beck.
Hats; Feathers, red tipped with white.
Breastplate; the device, St. Martin relieving St. Giles.
Cartouch, G. R.
Button, St. Martin.
|Dimensions||25.25 × 32.5 cm|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.