S.S. Bergensfjord, 1913
North Atlantic Liners 1899-1913
The separation of Norway from Sweden in 1905 was followed by the formation of the Norwegian America Line and two 15-knot passenger and mail liners were ordered from Cammell Laird of Birkenhead. The first of these, the Kristianiafjord, inaugurated the new service from Christiania (Oslo) to New York. She was joined three months later by the 10,709-ton Bergensfjord. The New York service was maintained right through the First World War, although the Kristianiafjord came to an untimely end by stranding near Cape Race off Newfoundland in 1917. A year later the Bergensfjord was joined by the 13,000-ton Stavangerfjord. At the time of the occupation of Norway in 1940 Bergensfjord was nearing New York. Chartered by the British Government, she was used as a transport until the end of the war. The Bergensfjord, by now thirty-three years old, was sold to Home Lines, a Greek entity but the ships were Italian-manned. Renamed Argentina she was for some years based on Genoa for the South American trade. In 1952 Argentina, with improved tourist accommodation, was put on a new Mediterranean-New York service. With her was another veteran, the Homeland, which had been built as the Allan Line’s Virginian. In 1953 she was sold to Israel, to become the largest of the Zim Line’s fleet, renamed Jerusalem. She was thereafter based on Haifa and operated to and from Marseilles but made a few voyages to New York. Her long and varied career ended in 1959, when sold to Italian breakers.
|Dimensions||48.5 × 23 cm|