Basset Hounds 1872
Free shipping on orders over $50!
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- No Hassle Refunds
- Secure Payments
The Basset Hound was first recognised as a breed by the Kennel Club in 1880 following the application of Lord Onslow who had bred two of the dogs. In 1880 Mr. George Krehl imported “Fino de Paris”, a pillar of the breed in British “Basset Hound” history. He was one of Count de Couteulx’s hounds. In 1882 Lord Onslow sold his pack of fifteen hounds to Sir Everett Millais and George Krehl. During the ten years between 1872 and 1882, the pack had been strengthened by direct imports from the kennels of Count de Couteulx. In 1883 Mr. George Krehl gave some “Basset Hound” puppies to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales. They were sired by “Ch. Jupiter”, a hound bred by Count le Couteulx. Lord Aylesford brought a brace of “Basset Hounds” to his ranch near Big Spring, Texas to use as rabbit hounds. They were sired by Mr. G. R. Krehl’s “Ch. Jupiter”.
These 8 Hugh Evelyn Prints are reproductions from illustrations in The Illustrated book of the Dog by Vero Shaw (“assisted by leading breeders of the day”) which was first published in London in 1881 by Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co (Cassells). It was only the fourth book dedicated to dogs with illustrations and contained over 92 coloured chromolithographs. The book was the first to show portraits of the Airedale Terrier and the first colour illustrations of the Bedlington, Dandie Dinmont, Irish, Yorkshire and Fox Terriers, Basset Hounds, Retrievers and other breeds.
|Dimensions||25.9 × 21.5 cm|