The Riley Nine was one of the most successful light sporting cars produced by the British motor industry in the inter war period. Made by the Riley company of Coventry, England with a wide range of body styles between 1926 and 1938, the car was largely designed by the Riley brothers, Percy and Stanley. The 1,087 cc four-cylinder engine had hemispherical combustion chambers with valves inclined at 45 degrees in a crossflow head. The engine was mounted in the chassis by a rubber bushed bar that ran through the block with a further mount at the rear of the gearbox. Drive was to the rear wheels through a torque tube and spiral bevel live rear axle mounted on semi elliptic springs. The Brooklands originated as a limited production special based on the Riley 9, started by JG Parry, and continued by Reid Railton. The chassis was shortened by 15″, the rear end of the chassis was re-jigged so that the rear members were only 12″ apart at one point. The ratio of the rear axle was slightly increased, and a new, smaller radiator was used. In the engine, High Compression Pistons, and special camshafts were fitted. The car was also fitted with 2 Carbs. The result was 50bhp at 5000rpm. The bucket seats were dropped to within 6″ of the ground, and an undershield was fitted along the whole length of the car. At the 1927 BARC race, the Brooklands prototype came first, winning by a mile, at an average of 91.4mph. This car was still used regularly in the late 40’s.