America’s Cup Yachts 1851-1970
Five members of the New York Yacht Club decided to build a state-of-the-art schooner to sail to Britain both to show off American boat building capabilities and to take part in (and make money from) rrgattas. Their trip coincided with Britain’s Great Exhibition of 1851. Designed by George Steers, the 100-foot, black-hulled America had a sharp bow, a V bottom, and tall masts, making it strikingly different from the traditional yachts of the day. In June 1851, the America set sail from its shipyard on New York City’s East River, bound for England. Manned by Captain William H. Brown and a crew of 12, the America raced and overtook numerous ships during the Atlantic crossing. The trophy, first called the ‘100 Guineas Cup’, was renamed America’s Cup, after the yacht, and was donated to the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) under the terms of the Deed of Gift, which made the cup available for perpetual international competition.
|Dimensions||23.5 × 33.5 cm|