The P3 was a classic Grand Prix car designed by Vittorio Jano. It was the first single-seat racing car and Alfa Romeo’s second monoposto after Tipo A (1931). Taking lessons from that car, Jano designed a car with greater endurance, powered by a supercharged eight-cylinder engine. The car was light for the period, at just over 1,500 lb despite a cast iron engine block. It was introduced in June winning its first race and 6 more that year driven by Tazio Nuvolari and Rudolf Caracciola, including the Italian, French and German. 1933 brought difficulties to Alfa Corse. The cars were locked away. Enzo Ferrari had to run his breakaway ‘works’ Alfa team as Scuderia Ferrari, using older Alfa Monzas. Only in August was the P3 handed over to Scuderia Ferrari. They then won 6 of the final 11 events of the season. The regulations for the 1934 Grand Prix season brought larger bodywork requirements, so the engine was bored out to 2.9 litres. Louis Chiron won the French Grand Prix at Montlhery, whilst the German Silver Arrows dominated the other four rounds of the European Championship. However the P3s won 18 of all the European races. By this time the German and Italian states (led by Hitler and Mussolini) had subvented the racing manufacturers so that by 1934 those from Germany carried the field.