This machine appears to have gone through a series of major transformations since its original construction in 1929. Originally built on solid tyres in 1929, it went back to the works in August 1930 for Pneumatic tyres and steam brakes to be fitted. It had 3 owners in its working life and retired from commercial use in 1961 by the United Africa Company Liverpool, purchased by Edgar Shone who saved many Sentinel Waggons from the scrap man. He kept this waggon outside his house at the start of the A1 at Mill Hill London. In its then bright red livery it became a local landmark when not attending rallies until 1977 when the boiler needed a major overhaul. It was bought by again in 1989. Sentinel can trace its roots back to 1875 in Polmadie, Glasgow but in 1920 when financial problems struck the company was reorganised as Sentinel Waggon Works (1920) Ltd and machines were produced in a radical new factory along lines invented by Henry Ford at his model T plant at Highland, Michigan. The company survives today in Shrewsbury as a design, machining and assembly specialist.