Sceptre (K-17) was the unsuccessful challenger of the 1958 America’s Cup for the Royal Yacht Squadron. She was the first 12 metre yacht built to compete for the Cup following the rule change after WW II. J class yachts that had competed during the 30’s had become too large and too expensive. Conceived in 1956 she was designed by David Boyd and built at Sandbank on the Holy Loch in Argyll. Sceptre was owned by a syndicate headed by Hugh Goodson, plus Richard Dickson, William H. Northam, William G. Walkley, and Noel Foley. Sceptre lost 4-0 to defender Columbia of the New York Yacht Club at Newport RI. She is now owned and sailed in British waters by the Sceptre Preservation Society.