The Midland Railway 156 Class were 2-4-0 tender engines built at Derby Works between 1866 and 1874. 29 were built and rebuilt between 1873 and 1903. They worked express passenger trains to the Midland Railway’s London Terminus at King’s Cross. 21 survived to become part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) fleet in 1923. They were reduced to the humblest of roles. In September 1930, the LMS recognised the significance of the class and No. 156 itself was marked for preservation. But William Stanier (Chief Engineer) chose not to preserve it and it was scrapped two years later. But 158A (originally built as 158, then Midland Railway’s No. 2 in 1907, and finally 20002 by the LMS in 1934) survives. Withdrawn from service in July 1947 to be restored with her old number 158A as a static exhibit in Birmingham during the centenary celebrations at the New Street station in 1954. The locomotive was preserved at Derby Works until being moved to the National Railway Museum. She has been on loan to the Midland Railway Centre & Museum, Swanwick Junction since 1975. The surviving example has twice been reboilered and the front end rebuilt. The original tender was replaced a century ago.