The Stutz Motor Company was an American producer of luxury cars based in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Production began in 1911 and continued until 1935. In 1922 following bankruptcy, the new owners brought in Frederick Ewan Moskowics who quickly refocused the company to develop safety cars. For Stutz, the car featured safety glass, a low centre of gravity for better handling, and a hill-holding transmission called “Noback”. In 1927, a Stutz set a world record for speed, averaging 68 mph (109 km/h) for 24 hours. Next year, a 4.9-litre Stutz finished second at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (losing to the 4.5-litre Bentley despite losing top gear 90 minutes from the flag, the best result for an American car until 1966. That year a pair of supercharged 91-cubic-inch DOHC engines in his Stutz Black Hawk Special streamliner LSR car while Stutz set another speed record at Daytona Beach reaching 106.53 mph (171.44 km/h. In 1929, three Stutzes ran at Le Mans, and placed fifth after two cars fell out with split fuel tanks. Production ended in 1935 after 35,000 cars had been manufactured. The former Indianapolis factory is today known as the Stutz Business Center.