The North Eastern Railway was formed by merger in 1854 and merged into the London and North Eastern Railway at the grouping in 1923. This Fletcher (named after Edward Fletcher, Locomotive Superintendent who designed it) NER Class 947 0-4-4 BT was built 1874 by Neilson & Co in Glasgow. The locomotives were built for hauling passenger services on branch lines. They had an 0-4-4 wheel layout and a total of 124 locomotives were built. They were designated G6 by the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER). With the introduction of the NER Class O (LNER G5), BTP locomotives started to become redundant. Fifty of the redundant BTPs were rebuilt between 1899 and 1908 as NER Class 290 (later LNER Class J77) 0-6-0T locomotives. [Engraved by a Mr Wright we believe for the Railway Engineer].