Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway 4-4-0, No. 687

£5.00

Locomotive engravings

Availability: In stock

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) was formed by amalgamation in 1847. The MS&LR changed its name to the Great Central Railway in 1897 in anticipation of the opening in 1899 of its London Extension. The GCR Class 2 was derived from a Kitson (Leeds) built and Thomas Parker designed prototype 4-4-0 locomotive No. 561, (the first single frame locomotive built for the MSLR) exhibited in Manchester in 1887. The design lead to the production of a series of express steam locomotives built between 1890 and 1894 for use on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, later the Great Central Railway. The last batch of six, built 1894, had larger bearings for the coupled wheels, coil springs (instead of leaf springs) for the driving axle and was classified 2A. When first built, the Class 2s were used on the MSLR main express trains. They regularly hauled the Manchester to King’s Cross expresses to and from Grantham. Early records suggest that they were very economical locomotives during this period. [Engraved by C. Trent for The Railway Engineer]. See also

Weight 0.02 kg
Dimensions 44.4 × 26 cm